HOW TO PROTECT YOUR e-mail ADDRESS BOOK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO PROTECT YOUR e-mail ADDRESS BOOK

This was sent to me by a friend and I wonder what the members views are. I am sceptical about it MEMBERS DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ OTHERS VIEWS. My first reaction was that it could be an easy way to access someones Address Book - I hope I am wrong.
    A computer repairman says this is like having gold. This is a good thing. I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious simplicity.
    As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it often heads straight for your email address book, and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.
    This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.
    Here's what you do:
    First, open your address book and click on 'new contact,' just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in 'A'.
    For the screen name or email address, type AAAAAAA@AAA.AAA Now, here's what you've done and why it works:The 'name 'A' will be placed at the top of your address book as entry #1.This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends.When it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA@AAA.AAA, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered. If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and none of your friends will be infected.
    Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your In Box almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to AAAAAAA@AAA.AAA could not be delivered, you know right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it!
    Pretty slick huh?
    If everybody you know does this then you need not ever worry about opening mail from friends. DO IT NOW and pass this on to all your friends.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I'm not too sure about this Margaret ?? but then I'm a pessimist ,be interesting to know hope somebody answers you.

Comment

... a hoax

snopes.com: How to Protect Your Address Book
      Elaine

Comment

An old hoax as well, if a message asks to to pass it on you can bet your boots that it's a hoax
        Best Wishes
        Ron
        www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

I e mailed the address just to see what happened and it took a few days and then came back to me by which time anyone would have rifled my computer and set off with anything.
          But I always google the name of the message and it usually comes up as a hoax so never forward a message like this until you google for it.

Edna

Comment

I personally have not forwarded this message to anyone. My Thread I typed out in Word and did a paste and copy. I tried google but probably did not put in the correct key word which is why I asked on this site. Thank you for your replies.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Working...
            X