Looking for my grans birth record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my grans birth record

I'm trying to find the birth records of my Gran Florence SIMS, I belive she was born in Co Durham. I have her marriage cert and from that, her father was Thomas SIMS a coal miner. She was married in 1924 at the age of 20 so she was born about 1904. I have searched and searched but with no luck, perhaps a fresh pair of eyes may fair better.

Thank in advance for any help.

Martin

Have you got her on the 1911 census to be sure of her birthplace?

Comment

No I can't find any trace of here birth anywhere.

Comment

have you any other info. on her parents? where was she married?

Comment

Do you have their marriage cert?

Are you sure that her name at birth was Florence?

Spelling variations. Sims, Simms, Syms.

Comment

She was married on 4th Aug 1924, at the Salvation Army Citadel, Sherburn Terrace, Consett Co Durham. She lived at Leadgate Co Durham at the time of her marriage. Her father Thomas SIMS was a coal miner. Her husband was Joseph Emmerson JACKSON.

Comment

There is a Florence Simm born in 1906 on the 1911. Living in South Shields.

You need to pay to see the result but there may be a Thomas Simm at the same address.

Comment

I have the marriage cert and her surname on it and her fathers surname are definately Sims.

Comment

Do you know the names of any siblings?

1901 Census - Jarrow South Shields

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4744; Folio: 187; Page: 15.

There's a Thomas Simm - a coal miner age 36 from Usworth Co.Durham

Thomas Simm 36
                  Hannah Simm 34
                  John Simm 12
                  George Simm 8
                  Norah M Simm 5
                  Elizabeth J Simm 2
                  Thomas Simm 2 months

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

No sorry I don't have any other info on her.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimi Hendrix II View Post
                      I have the marriage cert and her surname on it and her fathers surname are definately Sims.
                      That means nothing I'm afraid.

You have to take transcription errors into account.

Comment

Ok Thanks for all your help I will keep looking its got to be out there somewhere.

Comment

1901 Census - Hutton Henry, Easington Co Durham

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4687; Folio: 95; Page: 26.

Thomas Sims 28 Coal Miner - hewer born Shotton Co Durham
                          Ann Sims 19 born Yorkshire
                          Thomas Sims 4 months born Hutton Henry

In FreeBDM there's a marriage between Thomas Sims and Annie Smith in June qtr 1900 10a 827 in Easington

but doesn't appear to be any Florence Sims born in Co Durham.
                          Last edited by JBee; 22-05-09, 22:47.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The 1911 census Florence SIMM is listed living with Arthur, 49, and Mary Ann 47, John, Mary and Maud. So does not look like the right one.

Diane
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia
                            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Who were the witnesses at her marriage?
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

sorry for the late reply. I have been busy at work.

The witnesses were Harry JACKSON and Isabella THOMPSON.

Comment

sorry for the late reply. I have been busy at work.

The witnesses were Harry JACKSON and Isabella THOMPSON.
                                  Hello,

Harry Jackson and Isabella Thompson were my great-grandparents. They were married themselves in the same place in 1927. I assume Harry was Joseph's brother? Harry's parents were Thomas Jackson and Elizabeth Anderson.

Best wishes,
                                  Charlotte

Comment

You'll need to be prepared to be flexible over names.

I've seen a marriage register entry where the bride's name was entered by the scribe (?incumbent, perhaps) as ASHPOLE, but she signed ASHPOOL very clearly.

I have familes where surnames vary between siblings, or for the same person over time - sometimes quite radically (see my footer!).

The name may have been SIMS, but that doesn't mean they'd have argued if an authoritative person entered it in a register/index as SIMMS/SIMM/SYMMS...

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Had a quick look at the 1911 census for the Florence born in 1906. The father of this family was named Arthur so this isnt the right one, unfortunately

Comment

Found a Florence Simm born 1904 registered in Newcastle 4th qtr vol 10b page 171

Comment

Working...
                                        X