Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are transcription errors nothing new?

This link: A View of Devonshire in MDCXXX: With ... - Google Book Search

shows a branch of the Fowell family, who are among my ancestors.

All the pedigrees show William Fowell marrying Agnes Achym, daughter of William of Pelynt in Cornwall. Fine. Except that an Agnes Achym, daughter of William of Pelynt in Cornwall also marries a Phillip Crymes. He dies in 1595 and there is a will of an Agnes Crymes widow a year or so later. (Agnes was also the name of her mother in law!)

I have toyed with the idea that William Fowell married Phillip Crymes' widow, but never had proof.

Do you think the word on the third line from bottom "Gaimets" could be a mistranscription of Crymes? (The family had an irritating habit of sometimes spelling their names "Grymes")
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

I would think it's quite possible. If you write "Crymes" in an old-fashioned scrawl, it looks a bit like Gaymets.

Comment

Have to say, the book is great fun, in the way that it gets wrong some names, in a fashion that suggests they are being remembered, rather than looked up.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
      X