Ireland question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland question please

Generally, if an unmarried Irish girl got pregnant in the late 1930's early 1940's would they have come to England to have the baby? If so, was there a favourite area to go for the birth?

Yes I think they would.

Liverpool, Manchester or London would probably be favourite. Big cities to hide away in. Unless they knew someone they could stay with or knew of a Mother and Baby Home.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

They didn't have to , but many did. Depends where they could get a place in a mother & baby home I suppose. I guess there was probably a concentration around Liverpool, but by no means exclusive
      Jess

Comment

Thank you Jess and JBee, so it's a good chance she came to England but could have given birth anywhere, England suddenly seems a big place:D

Comment

Adoption, Search & Reunion
          just found this for irish ones.

Comment

Thanks Tessie, will go have a look

Comment

There's also the possibility she went to a relative in another part of Ireland even Northern Ireland.

I think it would also depend on her age and how well off she or the family were- if quite young there's a possibility she may have been sent somewhere like the Magdalen Homes and then returned home later having been on a visit to family!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee, she would have been 15 or 16 so that's a possibility too, thank you

Comment

Working...
                X