Crockford's Clerical Directory new on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crockford's Clerical Directory new on Ancestry

Covering various years between 1868 and 1932. But I searched for one name in my tree and found no matches, and when I searched for another one I got the boy with the noose.

Update - now I've managed to do another search, if you search for a name and don't find a match, try looking for just the surname or the first 3 letters of surname plus wildcard * and you may find the entry is there when you view the image.

It doesn't seem to let you select the year to search for, unfortunately.
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 21-05-09, 18:01.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Thanks for that Kate - I hadn't found that.

Found my birth fathers father - he was a man of the cloth, surprisingly.
    Jess

Comment

where do you find it please?

Comment

I saw it on the ancestry homepage but you can also get to it by going to their search page and then selecting Directories & Member Lists from the choices on the right of the screen, then it will come up with a list of directories and you have to scroll down because they have listed it as UK Crockford's Clerical Directories.

But I'm getting the boy with the noose when I search again!
        KiteRunner

Comment

ok, will have a go, thanks!

Comment

me too, its says its maintenance or technical probs!

Comment

I've just struck lucky, I only discovered my first clergyman the other day, so thanks for bringing this to notice

Comment

I have quite a number of clergymen in my tree but I don't think I have any C of E at all.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, Kate, that's very useful. It seems to be working OK now.

The database is here:

UK, Crockford's Clerical Directories - Ancestry.co.uk

If anyone wants to know what the abbreviations mean, I found a list here:

- Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

The following years are online so far.

Comment

Sounds as if they are using a similar search process to the Medical register, just by surname.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've found the vicar who married quite a few of my Bristows, and I see he was "Provincial Grand Masonic Chap. of the Province of Surrey", so I wonder whether my Bristows were Freemasons? He wasn't their local vicar and as far as I know wasn't related to them so that could be the reason why he married them?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                          Sounds as if they are using a similar search process to the Medical register, just by surname.
                          No, I've got some results by searching with Christian name and surname.

However, they've OCR'd the original volumes, and the program hasn't always picked up the names correctly, so if you think somebody should be there, it's worth searching for a similar name and then trawling through the volume to see if yours is there too.

Comment

I just searched on surname alone and got no results.

I searched first name and surname with a soundex search and got a lot of results for the surname I originally searched.

So the names may be there. We just have to work out how to get to them.
                            Kit

Comment

Just to add that I didn't actually find anyone with the name I wanted, the results were not where near what I wanted.
                              Kit

Comment

Sometimes you have to browse through to find the right entry.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                X