Your thoughts on this please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on this please ?

My grandfather was William George ***** and all through his birth and death and Census certificates that is so, but on my mothers marriage cert he is written as Frederick *****, now my Dad has passed away and my Mum is very poorly so I cannot ask why,My Dad would never speak of his Dad only to say he died quite young which is true, but I wonder if there was another man around with the same last name,I have looked on the Ancestry and other places but no other Freds look likely, what do you think ?
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Quite a few people of that generation were known by a different Christian name - usually a second or third one, but used their "correct" name on formal documents. It is possible he just forgot and used Frederick on this occasion. My Grandfather was called Tom in the family, but Bert at work and by friends. His full name was Bertram Thomas Samuel *****. He could well have been known as Sam by some people for all I know! I found it confusing when I was younger, but it happens quite a lot in my genealogy research.
    Another reason may be that he found it "convenient" to change his name at that time. Maybe to avoid creditors or such like?

Comment

my gggrandad was john davey, but on his sons wedding cert he signed john hodgson to save any embarassment for his illegitamate son. the whole family knew this but if you didnt he would have been very hard to find

Comment

Registered by one name and using another is quite common especially if others in the family have the same name. My Dad and Brother had the same name and brother uses his middle name. I don't think anyone has called him by his first name ever!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My dad was only ever known by his second name (actually an abbreviation of it) even as a child so goodness knows why his parents gave him his first name and then never used it. At his funeral my cousin was amazed to find he actually had another name - obviously dad's brother had never mentioned it to cousin.

Jane

Comment

When you come from a long line of Johns, some variety is needed. I know at least 2 people who are exclusively known by their middle name and I only found out their first names by accident when signing legal documents.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I had two uncles called Jack and Billy but their proper names were Henry Charles and Lauriston Philip!! I was told by a relative that they got their names from someone who saw them as boys togehter and remarked 'oh they look just like Jack and Billy **** and it stuck!
              Margaret

Comment

My great-uncle's names are Arthur George Harrison, but he was always known as Dick. If I hadn't known that, I would never have been able to find great-uncle Dick!
                Joy

Comment

I was surprised when my mum's bil died to find out his name was Frederick. He had only ever been known as Bert
                  Barbara

Comment

My father's name was Alfred, but was always known as Bob. I was surprised when I saw his real name on my birth certificate.
                    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

It appears no body is real !
                      regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                      for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Working...
                      X