Australian research help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian research help please

I`m trying to help a friend from Scotland, with some Australian research and although i live here, i have never had to do any, i have had a look at a couple of sites, but i am having trouble finding anything, this is what i have been given,

Frederick Campbell McLean b.1834 Langholm dumfrieshire was a free settler
    The ship Charlotte Jane landed 08.10.1848 and also was Colin Elliott Mclean b.1829 Hawick Roxburghshire was on the same ship.
    The eldest brother George Campbell McLean b.1822 Invernesshire went out on the Royal Saxon ship landed 29.06.1844.

She says they landed in NSW

Can anyone help me find out anything about these men please.

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Are you trying to work backwards, or forwards, or both!

From the IGI
    COLIN ELLIOT MCLEAN
    Gender: Male Christening: 12 JUN 1829 Hawick, Roxburgh, Scotland
    ROBERT ROY MCLAIN
    Gender: Male Christening: 02 SEP 1827 Hawick, Roxburgh, Scotland
    AMILIA MCLEAN
    Gender: Female Christening: 14 JUN 1831 Hawick, Roxburgh, Scotland

Parents: James McLean / Eliza Campbell
    Elaine

Comment

From the IGI - note submitted record

Frederick Campbell MAC LEAN
      Birth: 13 SEP 1834 Langholm, Dumfries, Scotland
      Death: 27 MAR 1880

Parents:
      Father: James Grant MAC LEAN
      Mother: Eliza Campbell
      Elaine

Comment

have you looked for there deaths on the nsw bmd site?

Comment

Thank you Elaine, i think she is trying to find out what happened to them after arriving in Australia

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Thank you Kylejustin, i did look and found nothing, but i`m not sure, when i comes to Australian research

Sylvia
            Sylvia

Comment

maybe they went to another state? have you played with the mc/mac/mack bits yet?
              and played around with they're first names?

Comment

Not yet, i only got the onfo last night and was waiting for pemission today, to put it on the forum if i couldn`t find anything

Will go check out the different Mac, Mc spellings

Thank you

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Comment

i couldn't find any frederick's or colin's, and i looked under they're middles names too. there a few george's, but no middle name is mentioned.

unless they went to another state, i don't know if they had any events in nsw.
                  Last edited by kylejustin; 21-05-09, 10:20.

Comment

Thank you, will try looking at other states

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
                      Not yet, i only got the onfo last night and was waiting for pemission today, to put it on the forum if i couldn`t find anything

Will go check out the different Mac, Mc spellings
                      One 19th. century variant, particularly common in newspapers, is M'.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Colin McLean age 19 came to Sydney in 1848 on the Charlotte Jane. Can't find the others yet.

Comment

George came as well. 1844 on the Royal Saxon age 22.

Comment

Thank you libby, i found those on ancestry, no luck with Frederick though, just trying to find if they returned to england, as i cannot find them in Oz

Sylvia
                            Sylvia

Comment

No luck there, but they didn`t start til 1878 anyway

sylvia
                              Sylvia

Comment

Can't find anything concrete in NSW or Qld for any of them later.

There's a couple of maybes, but no second names and unless you win lotto, you won't be wanting to buy that many certs.

There was a huge influx of Scots into Australia in the 1840s. My lot came then as well. They were recruited from Scotland and seemed to follow a pattern.

A lot went to the Maitland area and from there through New England, and some then onto Qld. Let me know if you find any New England links later and I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Thank you for looking Libby, will get back to my friend and see if she can come up with anything else

Sylvia
                                  Sylvia

Comment

NSW Immigrants Index shows Colin (19), Christina (27) and Thomas (29) arrived aboard the Charlotte Jane in 1848. George C Mclean (22) aboard the Royal Saxon. No relations are listed for the first three - a lot of the time it says "and brother" or "and wife" or other helpful information.

Do the ancestry indexes of NSW Assisted Migrants include information from all the microfilms - reels 2135 and 2453 and 2458 ?

One or the other might have a remark about their sponsor or intentions. The second or third reels, the Immigration Deposit Journals tend to have more useful information such as native place and parents names. I can go and look at the microfilm if you think it might help.

I cannot see them in the indexes for NSW, Queensland, WA or Vic, or NZ.
                                    Last edited by dicole; 21-05-09, 12:59.
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia
                                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thank you Diane, I have no idea what the microfilms hold, thank you for the kind offer though. might get back to you on that.

I have asked my friend how she knows that Frederick came out here, but wont get a answer til tomorrow.

i found in the unassisted passenger list,

McLEAN F Golden Age P 31/3/1854 Melbourne 399

which means he came from Melbourne to NSW, wish it had the first name though.

Would there be a record if someone died on the way over, on the ship?

Sylvia
                                      Sylvia

Comment

On a couple of passenger lists that I have c1853-1860 they mentioned the names of those that died including babies and infants who died on the way.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X