Royal Naval Reserve WW1, I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Naval Reserve WW1, I need help

Hi All, I'm hoping one of you experts can help me. My grandmother's brother, Henry Albert Dyer, born about 1884 in Carlton Colville, Suffolk has proved very elusive. It is likely he became a trawler man like his father and elder brother. I have just discovered there is a H A Dyer in the Lowestoft Roll of Honour.
    " Dyer H A Seaman 3843/B, H M S Almanzora, Royal Naval Reserve. Died 30th October 1918. Buried in King Tom Cemetery, Freetown, Sierra Leone. Plot 2. Row E. Grave 11."
    How can I find more details to try to link this man with my family? Would his death be registered in this country? If so where and by whom? Etc, etc. I have had a look at the National Archives site, but I can't make head or tail of it! Please help if you can. Cheers, Moiramary.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Hi

the death cert will be issued by the GRO from the Overseas deaths section see their website

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service - Fees

Here's the REF that you will need to order the certificate
    Hery Albert Dyer year of Death 1918 Vol RN Page 1164

not sure how much info there wil be on it though. I had an overseas death cert for someone in the Army and my man was simply listed as name rank and Killed In Action
    WendyP

Comment

Try the Fleet air arm museum at Yeovilton,they have the RNR records from WW1. I obtained details of my Grandfathers service from them.
      phone is 1935-840565.
      Hope he is your guy,Regards Tony

Comment

Have you looked on the CWGC site? He should be there...
        Last edited by Just Barbara; 20-05-09, 20:42.

Comment

He is listed on the CWGC site with the same details as the Lowestoft Roll of Honour has, Barbara. But since Wendy has found the full name on the GRO overseas death register, it must surely be the same person, don't you think?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you everyone. Sorry I wasn't able to get back earlier but we had a blip on the computer. I'm sure if I follow up all the suggestions you've made I'll find enough to confirm or eliminate Henry from my Dyer branch. Once again thank you, I'll let you know how I get on. Moiramary

Comment

Just got back on, yes, if all the info agrees it has to be okay.....go for it...;)

Comment

Hi All, Tried the number Tony gave me for the Fleet Air Arm Museum, but it is no longer a good number. Googled their site and got an e-mail address off the research section. Sent H A Dyer's details from the Roll of Honour AND I've already had a reply! They have his full record and the index shows he was born in Carlton, Suffolk in 1884. It is 99% certain it's my man. I'm so excited. It will cost £15 pounds but what the heck! The guy who e-mailed back sounds lovely and apologised that it might take a few days to get it out to me. Thanks to you all for putting me on the right track. Cheers, Moira.

Comment

HI

Wow! That was a quick response. Hope as you say that it proves fruitful for you.

:D
                  WendyP

Comment

Hi All, I said I'd let you know how I got on with the Naval Reserve Records. They've come and they are for my guy, 5ft 3ins, 38 in chest, fair hair and grey eyes. There is loads of information spread over several years which I can't deal with at the moment (knee deep in grandkids). I could end up knowing more about Henry Albert than I do about my grandmother! It only took a week from first enquiry to receiving the records which was brilliant.
                    Cheers, Moira.:D

Comment

Working...
                    X