Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Find Great Great Grandmothers Name

Hi All,

I am trying to find out the name of my great great grandmothers name.

She was mother of 10 children i believe and i do know some of the names.

Hilda Harrop, Edith Harrop B:1902, Stanley Harrop, David Harrop, Lorna Harrop.

Edith being my great grandmother

I know my great great grandfathers name is David Harrop And Ediths Birth was registered at Chorlton.

If anyone could provide any help with it it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Shaun

A David Harrop married an Emma Jane Mellor in Glossop in 1900.

A David Harrop born in Chorlton had mmn Mellor.

Whether that is actually the right family is a different matter. Do you have any photos, to see what order the people you know about came in the family? Or do you know dates of death, to try and find their births?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Ooh, I reckon that is them:

Births Mar 1921
      Harrop Lorna M Mellor Chorlton 8c 1277
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've looked at the free index (1911) and there are a number of Harrops in Chorlton

The most likely parents are David Harrop (1877) and Emma Jane (1881)

They are on the 1901 census
        with 3 of David's siblings

Annie Woodcock ? (31)
        George (36)
        Mary (23)
        Kate (16)

Don't know if this helps at all

Oh good Phoenix ... looks like we have a match !
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There is this family on the 1911 census in Chorlton.

David aged 34
          Emma Jane aged 30
          Stanley aged 9
          Edith aged 8
          Sidney aged 7
          Hilda aged 5
          Clifford aged 2

Comment

There may well have been more than ten children. There are 7 born Chorlton with mmn Mellor, so there were probably more than three born between 1900 and 1911.

Comment

1911 census has a Stanley in the same household (I think) born 1902
              and 3 possible Hildas ... have to pop off now so can't check further
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I forgot to say, welcome to FTF!

Comment

Lorna M HARROP born 1921 Chorlton has a mother ms. MELLOR

Comment

Oops every one else has got there before me - internet slow in the sticks tonight!

Comment

Oh yes
                      WELCOME to FTF

Comment

Great Great Grandmothers name

Hi all, Thanks for all your information, you have been so kind to help!

I had looked at free bmd website i came across and did some seraching on there before posting on here and the name mellor did appear most obvious but had no idea where i could get her full name from.

I am doing this research for myself aswell as the family but am hoping to have the family tree done on some tresure like paper in a frame to give to my grandmother as a present.

I do know that David Harrop (husband to emma) did have a son also called david harrop.

I have also been told by my grandmother that she did infact think stanley was one of the oldest of the ten children and her mother was too being edith.

I am so glad to have found this website as you guys seem so helpful..

Thanks a lot to all and any more information and pointers do let me know.

Reguards

Shaun

Comment

The best way to find a maiden name for certain is to get one of the childrens birth certs.

Comment

Working...
                          X