Family Historian and Gedcom Census - Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian and Gedcom Census - Help needed

I've just downloaded the free trial of Family Historian 4 and also Gedcom Census 6 and am somewhat overwhelmed (or maybe just daft). (previously used FTM 2006)
    I've downloaded a gedcom from Anc. so that I can play with a small tree of "real" people.

Am I then supposed to download each census image, attach those to the individual concerned in FH4 and then enter them into Gedcom census?

Is it possible to enter the 1911 married - number of children info into Gedcom census or should I enter that into FH4?

Or should I go back to bed and maybe wake up more intelligent...........:o

JANE

Jane,

Welcome to the Family Historian Club, I'm sure that once you have found your way around you will enjoy using the programme. In the meantime there is a dedicated Family Historian forum at Family Historian User Group - Home Page where there is a section especially for GedCom Census, it is right down at the bottom of the list. I'm sure that someone on there will be able to help you.

Margaret
    Margaret

Comment

Thaks for that Margaret - I've had a look at the FHUG site but am finding it as clear as mud - think I must be having a stupid day
      J

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
        I've just downloaded the free trial of Family Historian 4 and also Gedcom Census 6 and am somewhat overwhelmed (or maybe just daft). (previously used FTM 2006)
        I'm in exactly the same boat. Still a bit overwhelmed, but liking Family Historian more and more. I exported a gedcom from FTM 2006 and am using that to try out FH4, so all the census images are already on my computer. I've been entering the info and linking the images using Gedcom Census.

I think you can enter the married & number of children info wherever you like - either add it to the source text in Gedcom Census, or add it to FH4. But I'm not really sure as I'm totally new to FH as well. :D
        Sarah

Comment

My recommendation with any program is to take baby steps. If you like working with Manuals, work through some of the Making the Most of Family Historian, to get a feel of what you can do, or Watch a few of the Beginner's How To's on FHUG.

Set up a "Play" project first starting with an empy file and add one family to it, try using the diagram entry method in FH it's fun to use, and very useful if you are working with a laptop while talking to someone as you can create a tree with them.

It won't matter if you make mistakes in your play tree and you can then use gedcom census to add a couple of census pages to it.

Once you are comfortable with both programs go back to your main project.
          Jane
          Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
          "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Thank you Jane for your comments. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk and though I have downloaded the trial I think I'll buy the boxed edition so that I have some paper instructions to refer to.
            I've watched some the instruction videos and they seem straightforward - I just haven't got the connection between the census programme and FH4
            I also get confused with too many windows open at once - how sad is that...........
            Thanks again
            J

Comment

Working...
            X