Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

parish record..will they have an address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parish record..will they have an address?

good morning...I have my earliest OAKES ancestor(Daniel) born in 1786 in Backford,Cheshire....I have the date of his babtism and it is on record on the Cheshire Parish Record Database.....it states his parents,so I also have them but not where they were married or where they were born or their dob`s....would Daniels record have his Address ?.....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

maybe, maybe not.
    I have some early ones that do, some dont.

It wasn't an address as such, just a comment that named the farm.
    Jess

Comment

thanks Jess...I`ve been to Backford twice and seeing as its Whit weekend I thought if I could get an address I would go again this weekend...it`s only a very small village and there are over 20 Oakes babtisms registered there...but I can only PROVE 3 of them....pretty certain they are ALL related but I can`t connect Daniels father RALPH to the other Oakes`s in Backford in late 1700`s....I`ll post a request for the 1841 census for any Oakes and addresses in Backford,Cheshire......cheers....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Maybe try one of the Tithe surveys if they have survived.

Comment

Sometimes it just gives the name of the village or hamlet.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thats a new one on me...what`s a Tithe Survey ?...I`ll google it....allan;)

Comment

The most you are likely to get in parish registers of baptism & burial pre 1813 is the name of a hamlet if there are several men of the same name, or different parish if the writer of the register feels that is significant. Marriage registers will only state the parish where someone is living, not where they are from.

As Modem says, tithe maps may show an individual. Land Tax Assessments can also pin them down. LTAs don't always name the properties, but they tend to list them in the same order each year, so you find your person in one assessment and then work through until you find some descriptions. Using that method, I was able to prove a family had lived in the same place for over two hundred years.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix....I`ll have a gander right now...wish me luck ....allan;)

Comment

Believe me, I wish you luck! Most of my ancestors are from the country and the most you get, right through to the c20th is the name of the parish.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

there`s only 7 landowners in Backford.....none of them Oakes family....Baskyerville Glegg is a large landowner...now there`s a name to conjure with.....thank you all so much,,....I will be looking up Norton Canon in Herefordshire on the Tithe Survey for my Merrick family....cheers...allan;)

Comment

to Modem/Phoenix and Nell.....thank you so much....I had never heard of the Tithe Survey....in the 1835 Tithe Survey of Norton Canon my Merrick family (Marianne Merrick married Daniel Oakes in Garston 1874) have 34 fields/cottages/farms...all owned by just 4 merricks...my 4 x g grandfather Edward Merrick,his brother John Merrick,his sister Elizabeth Merrick and one UNKNOWN Maria Merrick are the 4 owners.....so who is Maria Merrick ?...lol...what a find....thankyou all....a happy allan...:D:D:D

Comment

i dont know about everywhere but most of the birth records i looked at in malton gave the street name. made it as lot easier to match people up and follow them around

perth

Comment

Allan, you say it is a small village. It might also have been a manor, or part of one. If so and you can get to see the court rolls some of the folks you are looking for might have been tenants, and the properties they lived in named. If you were very lucky, there might even be a rental or survey recorded with the rolls. If there is a manor it may not have the same name as the parish, but the County Record office for the area could probably help you with advice about that.

Roger

Comment

in the village is a sign for Backford Hall....it`s possible they worked there...how would I find out if they did ??....allan

Comment

Have you tried the A2A search on the National Archives site to see if there is something on the Oakes family or Backford itself. I use the "exact phrase" section to enter keywords eg names of people or places, it seems to throw up more hits. It can be a bit of a trawl but I have found it worthwhile on occasion

The National Archives | A2A | Results

Comment

thanks Modem....no luck...but fascinating reading....in 1663 Jane Hurst cited George Browne for stating "she was naughty in a wood with Edward Dughtie"...priceless...lol..:D.
                                I`m going to check this site again for other rellies in other towns...thanks again.....allan ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X