Born on board ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born on board ship

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

On the 1851 Census I have discovered an Ancester born on a ship called "Ardent". She is shown as 42 so would be born c 1809 and her name is Catherine Ainscow nee Collier.

I have tried via Google and established that there was a ship of this name carrying immigrants between Ireland and USA in 1803, but that is as far as I can get.

In the 1861 Census she is shown as Born in Fellingham Beach. I cannot trace where this is.

All other Census's show her as born in Lancashire.

Any help would be appreciated in finding her birth circumstances

Sorry.......I can't help with your problem, but OH's great grandfather was born on board a ship at the Cape of Good Hope on the way from England to Australia in 1853.

He is registered in Sydney (Australia) and it's only on his birth cert it mentions the birth at sea.

Comment

I was wondering if Fellingham Beach was where the ship docked in the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
        I was wondering if Fellingham Beach was where the ship docked in the USA?
        I am not even convinced that she was born on an outbound ship or was from Ireland.
        All other pointers are that she was from Lancashire or at least lived in Lancashire.
        If she were born on a ship docking in USA what brought her back here???

Is there a Fellingham or Fillingham Beach in USA.

Cannot find any info on the boat Ardent after 1803 I am sure she was born 1809.

Comment

Can you post her details up and we'll have a look.

Not sure how long I'll have power so please excuse me if I disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
            Can you post her details up and we'll have a look.

Not sure how long I'll have power so please excuse me if I disappear.
            Catherine Collier married John Ainscow 10/6/1832 in Deane, Lancashire
            1841 Census with Three children (Born in County)
            1851 Census with 6 children (Born on board Ardent at Sea)
            1861 Census with 6 Children (Born Fellingham may be Fillingham Beach)
            1871 Census with 3 Children (Born Atherton, Lancashire)

Age 1841 30
            1851 42
            1861 52
            1871 62

Comment

Holcan, if her parents were irish the Ardent may have set out from Cobh which was I think Queenstown then, if in fact it went to America, also Ulster Ancestry has lists of ships who set out from the north.....hope this might be of some help...

Comment

Cancel that last statement, I've found the Ardent........:o

Comment

Well the Ardent was still about in 1807 so there is no reason to suppose she wasn't doing in the same route in 1809.............

Comment

Well the Ardent was still about in 1807 so there is no reason to suppose she wasn't doing in the same route in 1809.............
                    Which route was she plying in 1807.
                    Was it still Ireland USA

Comment

Holcan, google the Brig Ardent out of Londonderry, bound for America. It appears there was also an HMS Ardent..........;)

Comment

Holcan, google the Brig Ardent out of Londonderry, bound for America. It appears there was also an HMS Ardent..........;)
                        Thanks for this tip. It does gives lots of Info. that I shall peruse in due course.
                        I had tried putting "ship Ardent" in but results were nowhere near as good as yours.
                        Thanks again

Comment

Holcan.............;)...............

Comment

Working...
                          X