walter or edgar king 1893

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walter or edgar king 1893

please can anyone help find my gt grand fathers birth 1893 ?
    he is in the 1901 census with parents Mary a 1854 and Thomas king,1855, 84 becketts st camberwell london s.e.
    i have his marriage certificate walter king aged 19 to esther waller 20
    both fathers decest
    they had 3 children
    William w king 1913
    Thomas h king 1915
    Rose king 1917, all with mother esther waller father edgar w king
    he remarried in 1920 to Lydia c faulkner under walter king,
    they had a son Frederick in 1920 father walter king,
    i have his marriage cert x 2
    his childrens cert x 4
    his death cert for walter king 1953 in farnborough hosp, kent
    i went to his Grave in cudham kent it said walter king died 30/10/1953
    no dob
    spoke to parish records no dob
    paid for a search at gro came back no dob
    had 4 certificates all wrong
    please can anyone help find him
    thank you
    kelly cook

Well at least you know he existed Kelly
    Can you list the GRO refs for the certs you already have.
    Don't want to be jumping up and down with excitement at finding what you already have.
    Births were legally required to be registered from 1875 so he should be somewhere abouts.

mmm odd that on all other certs he is Walter but on all his children's certs he is Edgar.
    Where does 1901 census say he was born?

OK found birth place...Peckham according to census with Thomas and Mary as parents. Peckham would be Camberwell Reg district.
    Marriage.. Camberwell.

Children all born Camberwell
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 19-05-09, 21:51.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

How sure are you that you have the right Walter on 1901 census? His fathers name was given as Thomas, deceased on marriage cert?
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 19-05-09, 21:29.
      Kat

Comment

hi i havent got the gro numbers here as i have sent all the certificates i have to my uncle for him to copy and hope to have them back in a week or so,but yes his name was thomas dec on his marriage cert
        i found him in the 1901 census, this is the only family that fits, i think, they were greengrosers when they moved to kent they then went to pig farming, there is no trace before 1901 or after 1901 for all of his family, its just as though they were put there in 1901 then taken away, i have paid for another 2 searches 1 for edgar w king and the other for thomas and mary a king, someone gave me the name of wells for mary a
        yesterday so i am going to try that, i am really so desperate to find them as i cannot go any further back, and my side of the family is king,thank you so much for your reply, hey just thought i have gro numbers, walters death 5b 146,marriage to esther waller in 1912, gro 1d 1711, 2nd marriage to Lydia Faulkner 1920 1d 1268.
        my regards
        kelly
        Last edited by kellycook; 20-05-09, 09:41.

Comment

I don’t think you are going to get back on the censuses until you do find Walters birth reg. You need to know his parents names; that Mary was definitely his mother.
          There are no Walter or Edgar Kings registered for Camberwell 1892 -1894 free bmd or on the indexes so perhaps he wasn’t born there after all.
          Do you know if Walter had any brothers or sisters; you could try a sideways search. Getting one of their birth certs would help.
          On 1901 Thomas and Mary are in their mid forties. It’s possible that they had other children that had left home by 1901.

Have you found him on the 1911 census.. I can only see Walter on there living Camberwell and he doesn’t look as if he is with his parents.
          Kat

Comment

HI

What was Walters occupation at time of marriage in 1912 and what address did he give?

Where there any King witnesses noted on the certificate?

If not:-

Who were the witnesses?
            WendyP

Comment

hi
              the family was green grosers, until they moved to kent and then was pig farmers, and no i was given walters mothers name by a lady on the internet, linda foxwell who has him on her tree, she has mary a wells as his mother, but no dob
              the witness are joseph freeland and beatrice blanch barnes.
              address 25 arthur st camberwell london, married in christ church, camberwell,
              my uncle Henry thomas king 1937, says that walter never had any brothers or sisters, my uncle was 16 when pop as he calls him died.
              walters father was named as thomas king, fruiter green groser.
              hope this helps, and am so very grateful for your help
              my regards
              kelly
              Last edited by kellycook; 21-05-09, 08:42.

Comment

on my grandfathers birth certificate, Thomas Henry King, 13.02.1915, father was edgar walter king, mother esther elizabeth king, nee waller.
                green grosers, they lived at 26, daniels rd peckham, camberwell
                i have gone right back on Esthers side no problems.,
                its the same info on my gt uncle William w King's birth, apart he was born in 1913, just wondered if the church they married in would have his dob, ?
                my regards
                kelly
                Last edited by kellycook; 21-05-09, 08:58.

Comment

I wonder if you can discount the Wells theory as there is an 1891 census on Ancestry - which someone has added (Wells) to Mary A.

1891 St Luke

Thomas King 38 born Finsbury, Carman
                  Mary A King 35 born Camden Town
                  Thomas King 9
                  Ernest King 8
                  John King 3
                  Frederick King 5/12
                  Elizabeth Wells 62 Mother in Law
                  George Wells 24 Visitor

Class: RG12; Piece: 231; Folio 117; Page 53

I think this is the same family on the 1901 census.

1901 St John the Baptist

Thomas King 49 born Finsbury, Horse Keeper
                  Mary King 44 born Camden Town
                  Thomas King 19
                  Ernest King 19
                  John King 14
                  Henry King 8
                  Jane King 4

Class: RG13; Piece: 272; Folio: 63; Page: 53

So this family have more than one child and they seem to be on the 1901 at the same time as your family.

Do you think he could have been registered under his Mother's name if he was born before the marriage?

Leiko

Comment

Yes, i think that dispells the Wells theory Leiko thanks. and yes possibly he could be under Walter Edgar mmn /Edgar walter mmn but we need his mothers maiden name !! Haven't time to look now ...am working lol. Will look up W E or E W births later and check for King marriages afterwards ... unless some oe else kindly looks for me meantime.
                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by kellycook View Post
                      on my grandfathers birth certificate, Thomas Henry King, 13.02.1915, father was edgar walter king, mother esther elizabeth king, nee waller.
                      green grosers, they lived at 26, daniels rd peckham, camberwell
                      i have gone right back on Esthers side no problems.,
                      its the same info on my gt uncle William w King's birth, apart he was born in 1913, just wondered if the church they married in would have his dob, ?
                      my regards
                      kelly
                      I think parish records are the way to go for both for Walters birth first then the marriage. (Which could be later if he was illegitimate)
                      Kat

Comment

thank you so very much, my mum is terminally ill this is why i have been trying so very hard to find my walter or edgar, i know if we can get this sorted we can then move on,
                        my sincere thanks
                        kelly

Comment

thomas and mary king

hi all,

i have just had some good news regarding mary King nee wells,

Mary was married to a ? King nee wells before she married Thomas King and they had walter,

so her maiden name was wells, when she married thomas she used her married name of king, so now perhaps i can find there marriage, at least this would be some thing ?
                          regards
                          kelly

Comment

How about this entry for Q4 1882?

King Mary Ann Mile End 1c 1013
                            King Thomas Mile End 1c 1013
                            PRENTICE Kate Mile End 1c 1013
                            Wastell Henry Mile End 1c 1013

Comment

king

hey yes i think this might be them, i will send for a certificate

thank you so very much

kelly x:D

Comment

If you are sending for that cert Kelly then don't forget to add a check on the request that the bride's father's name is Wells.

I thought that that one would tie in with Leiko's Post 9 in which case you would need to find a Mary Wells marriage to another King pre 1882. However there isn't an Edgar or Walter on those censuses unless it's Ernest? He has the right birth date.

I haven't been able to find a marrige ref for Wells/King pre 1882
                                Kat

Comment

hi i just wonder if anyone can here me screeming the gro has just refunded part of my money as mary's father was not wells, so i just dont know where to go from here ?
                                  any help would be so appreciated

kelly

Comment

I hear you screaming Kelly.

Sorry but I'm totally flummoxed:(
                                    Kat

Comment

walter king 1893

hi i just wonder if there is anyone who can do look ups for parish records

in CHRIST CHURCH in Peckham / camberwell london s.e.

to see if walters dob appears anywhere there, as he is there in the 1901 census,
                                      he married twice there, and i would think had his children there,

any help for this dreded king family would be so very much appreciated before my gt grdad drives me mad

kelly

Comment

mary king nee wells

just had part refund for Mary's death in 1921 1c 407

as she was not a widow,

any advise please

kelly

Comment

Working...
                                        X