Naturalisation (circa 1880)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalisation (circa 1880)

My great-grandmother was born in Germany circa 1860. She and her family are in extracted IGI records. She first appears in England in Liverpool in the 1881 census and married a year later in a RC church in Toxteth Park.

I'm just wondering how easy it is to get hold of her naturalisation records, and also those of her sister who first appears in 1891 afer the couple had moved to Torquay. I followed a WIKI link to the National Archives C54 (the Close records) which seems to be where they are kept.

Any thoughts or advice please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Uncle John

Not all naturalisation records are closed, there are quite a few online.

Are you certain she was naturalised? Marriage to a British citizen automatically conferred British nationality on the wife. Also, if her father was naturalised, that would confer automatic British nationality on his wife and children.

OC

Comment

Good point. I've had another look at the marriage certificate but no clues. Her father was shown as deceased, and I know that only the two sisters came to England.

The sister is the one who married a Villiers, which you may remember. She was in England for about 15 years before she got married.

Comment

I got my Great Great Grandfathers records online from the TNA heres a link to what it may look like JavaScript Support Check

Comment

Uncle John

She may not have bothered - nor indeed wanted to - be naturalised. I don't think women were seen as any effective threat in any walk of life, so would not be considered enemy aliens and would not be chivvied by any authority.

OC

Comment

I don't know whether it's of any help, but my great grandparents (and others in the family) cam over from Germany at a similar time and were Naturalised.
            On all the records and censuses they appear as "born Germany, Naturalised British Subjects"

Perhaps if it doesn't say that, then they were not officially naturalised?
            Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Sally

And sometimes it says on the census that they WERE naturalised BS, but they weren't!

OC

Comment

One of my rellies (working in Russia) brought his German business partner & brother-in-law to England for a short holiday and the brother in-law met & married the rellie's English niece.
                Eventually this German chap took up residence in London & his naturalisation papers are at Kew.However, his sister, also Prussian, eventually moved to London with her husband (my rellie) but there are no naturalisation papers for her, as she took the nationality of her English husband.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes OC, I should have said that I have checked up and found the relevant naturalisation papers.
                  Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Working...
                    X