Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little help please, finding Rubacille.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help please, finding Rubacille.

Cannot find any trace of my 2xg grandfathers sister Ruby after 1881

She was registered in 1863 as 'Ruba Scilla Harriet Tomkins', Whitechapel. Baptised 7 years later at St Boltolphs Aldgate as 'Rubacille Harriet Tomkins". She is on the 1871 Census aged 8, down as Harriet Tomkins with the family at Swan Court, Whitechapel. She married in 1878 at Bethnal Green, a few months short of her 16th birthday to a James Roberts.

I have found them on the 1881 Census, her down as 'Ruby H Roberts':

28 Grey Eagle Street, Christchurch Spitalfields, Middlesex
    James Roberts, head, 20, out of work, London
    Ruby H Roberts, wife, mar, 19, London
    Rosetta Roberts, dau, 1, London

Can't find any trace of them after this. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Last edited by Richard; 19-05-09, 10:26.

Can't find any sign of them, Richard.

Comment

Thanks for trying Libby. I wonder if they went abroad? Can't find a death or remarriage for Ruby either.

Comment

Richard In that 1881 census, I couldn't work out if they were related to the other family there or if they were in a different dwelling. The others looked to have Jewish names.

Comment

I don't think they are in any realtions no, seem to be immigrants from Russia.

Comment

Just wondered about the Ruba Scilla???

Comment

I think it is just 'Ruby Cilla' spelt a variety of ways, none of the other children have foriegn sounding names!

Comment

have you checked for Pricilla/Precilla ?........just a thought....allan
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks Allan, had a look in case she has been mistranscribed as Pricilla but no luck there either unfortunately.

Comment

Suppose you have this already?
                    Free BMD
                    Rosetta RobertsYear of Registration:1879 Quarter of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep District:Whitechapel County:London, Middlesex Volume:1c Page:331
                    Last edited by Trina; 19-05-09, 15:49. Reason: Tried to paste and mesed up!

Comment

Hi Trina, thanks yes, had found that one, re daughters birth. It's strange all three of them are untraceable after 1881, suggests they are either all together still badly transcribed on both census and BMD's, or perhaps more likely they've emigrated together?

Comment

If the father had died or "left" the mother might marry again and give the family another surname. I found a Rosetta Carlisle with a mother Harriet, but it really didn't look likely!
                        I'll look at the passenger lists and see if they appear anywhere there.

Comment

Unfortunately the passenger lists on "Find my Past" don't start until 1890 and there are no likely ones there. Have you checked Ellis Island?

Comment

Trina thank you for your Efforts, Just been on the Ellis Island site, is a Ruby Roberts but born around 1890 so clearly not mine. Real puzzle this one.

Comment

Working...
                            X