WW2 what uniform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 what uniform?

I have absolutely no idea if anybody could tell anything from this uniform but perhaps someone could try please.

However this is my father in Holland I believe at the end of WW2 but don't hold me to that I only have my mother's word for the place and time I know its my father, I have had this photo all my life.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 11-06-09, 23:00.

The only thing that I can tell you Margaret is that if he was from the ranks then the photograph was taken after 1944 as this was the year that OR's were permitted to wear shirts and ties off when off duty, other than that I can see no tribal markings nor chevrons.

don

Comment

Originally posted by don.t View Post
      The only thing that I can tell you Margaret is that if he was from the ranks then the photograph was taken after 1944 as this was the year that OR's were permitted to wear shirts and ties off when off duty, other than that I can see no tribal markings nor chevrons.

don
      Interesting I was told it was practically at the end of the war possibly March 1945.

I thought that though because there isn't anything that suggessts a regiment at all. No distuingishing features of a uniform. Although I was told recently that he was in the Irish and Scottish something or others! Can't remember what my half sister said to be honest...

Oh he was Scottish by the way.

Comment

It could well be the date that you have been told Margaret, the date period that I have given just relates to when they were allowed to wear shirts and ties when off duty prior to 1944 the BD blouse was fastened at the neck by the top button.

don

Comment

Hi Maggie
          I hope you don't mind but I got rid of the cracks for you

niksmum

Comment

This is just a thought, but I wonder if it would be worth enlarging the picture? just in case there was anything we missed??

Comment

I'd have to rescan it but the forum doesn't allow very large attachments and I don't have another website to load it on. I've never used any sites like that.

Also I don't think there is anything telling on that uniform it looks very bland no insignia of any description! I'm not sure what I thought anyone could tell from it really

Comment

Originally posted by Niksmum View Post
                Hi Maggie
                I hope you don't mind but I got rid of the cracks for you

niksmum
                Thanks that looks a lot better. I think the original went through the wars a bit itself.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                  I'd have to rescan it but the forum doesn't allow very large attachments and I don't have another website to load it on. I've never used any sites like that.
                  This thread explains how: http://www.familytreeforum.com/refer...otobucket.html
                  Sarah

Comment

Thank you to all the people who responded to my thread.

I now know that he was in the Highland Light Infantry with the help of my newly found sister and some of her knowledge we have managed to confirm it recently with other details.

Comment

-Congratulations Maggie.........on both counts....

Comment

Working...
                      X