GR (or should that be Grrrrrrrr?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR (or should that be Grrrrrrrr?)

A couple of days ago I had in quick succession 2 requests from the same person to view my GR tree. Having had a poke round her tree, I discover that all the married women are in under their married names, the patriarch only 3-4 generations back is Unknown Unknown born c. 1880 and I can't find a single surname that I recognise.

I've asked her what she thinks the connection is, but I haven't yet had a reply. I don't have Unknown Unknown in my tree, though 13 thousand other people seem to have one born in 1880!
    Last edited by Uncle John; 18-05-09, 21:16.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

UJ can you give me their names, I must be related to them i've got an Unknown Unknown in my tree :D :D
    Jay

Comment

I think that although people are "hidden" in your opened tree, their names and any submitted details still appear in the general database.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have deleted my post Jay, because I thought it was probably not good to criticise GR!! If they change my settings again though I will criticise them loud and clear!
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

I agree their personal research doesn't sound brill, and I only ever ask to see a tree if I am 90% certain they have useful information, but I am often asking on behalf of someone else, or because they have my father's ancestry in their tree, which my fee paying tree doesn't. (People often don't pass on info because I just sound so shifty!)
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

LOL! You and me both! Because I NEVER open my tree, people assume I'm a tight-fisted name collector to be viewed with extreme suspicion.

I refused to open my tree to someone, but sent him a very lengthy report on about 100 people who I judged were his relatives, including copy certs, photocopied church records, a couple of Wills, some newspaper cuttings etc...

The reply came back:

Yes, very interesting but HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS - please open your tree so that I can check the information.

He thinks my GR tree is more accurate than my detailed research?????

OC

Comment

My GR tree has three neighbours as rellies because i needed to add the names to my tree before i could have them in the "trying to find" board. If anyone is interested they can contact me and I'll tell them, but useless to open my tree.

Comment

I never open my tree to people anymore. Partly for the fact that it all seems to end up on someone elses the next day, but mostly because 95% of it isnt on GR anymore. I only add people that I am currently researching. SO sick of getting 100s of 'hot matches' that clearly arent! If I wanted to know every single person of the same name born in the same year, I would search myself. Until they get it figured out so that it looks at locations too I aint interested....

Wont cancel my membership though - have made contact with too many relatives through the site in the past.

Comment

I have matches on my Ancestry tree with people who have the right birth places for my relatives, but when it comes to the deaths and marriages all these places suddenly move from the UK to USA i.e. Brighton, Somerset, and Manchester to name a few. This has happened on more than one of my family lines. And on my Genes tree the same thing happened with my Grandmother, I was actually asked if I was sure about her death, and where she was born even though I have the certs and the first hand knowledge. Very strange I think.

Comment

ancestry moves everything that does not have acountry on it to the usa or canada or oz so i always put england( or what ever) at the end of all my birth places now
                    wye surrey/london/birmingham
                    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

That would explain an awful lot to me then. I shall double check all my places have England or appropriate ending on now. I have heard that Ancestry is interested in buying Genes is this true?????
                      Lynda

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
                        ancestry moves everything that does not have acountry on it to the usa or canada or oz so i always put england( or what ever) at the end of all my birth places now

That's strange because I haven't put England on any of mine and they are left just as I have input them.
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                        X