Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She says she's his cousin...

... and I've no reason to doubt her!

Just received a death certificate dated 1842 for Joseph Butcher aged 46. As I've been unable to find his birth (only his marriage and children's baptisms) anywhere (somewhere in E London/Middlesex) I was delighted when the informant says she is his cousin! Sarah Hodges of 11 Petticoat Lane. Sadly she wasn't living there in 1841 but I've found a very likely candidate in Widegate St, just off Petticoat Lane with a Benjamin Hodges.
    Now I can't find a marriage for Benjamin Hodges to a Sarah. Nor is there a birth for Benjamin so I can't prove whether they were brother and sister!
    Any bright ideas as to how I can find out the relationship of Sarah Hodges to Joseph Butcher and help me get further back?
    Sue

have you traced benjamin forwards? you could get his death cert for informant or see if he had kids, that would with sarah's name, and also rule out whether she married him. you could always try to trace her forwards too.

Comment

As I am still struggling with Sarah Snook, spinster, cousin of William Trusler born 1790s in the Salisbury area. IE, less heavily populated, unmarried, so it ought to be a doddle and have been struggling since the 1980s if not earlier, all I can say is - pass!

There seem to be several Sarah Hodges dying before 1851 in London, while finding her burial, to get a handle on her age, would be equally difficult.

Perhaps when Ancestry put all LMA's stuff online, you'll find something
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've just found this in 1851 - Thomas B Hodge at bottom of page

- Ancestry.co.uk

I know Mr Hodge's first name is different but he does give the middle initial. Do you think that the occupation is the same as in 1841 here (Benjamin Hodges bottom of left hand page)

- Ancestry.co.uk

Opinions please! Are they the same couple? And if so is she my Joseph's cousin - she's from Coventry!! Joseph claimed to be from Middx in 1841 (not infallible I know) but then if she's the same person she claimed to be from Middx in '41!
        Sue

Comment

I think I may have answered my own question! I've just found the daughters birth (Ellen) to a Thomas Batts Hodge and Sarah. So it doesn't seem that they are the same family.

Back to the drawing board.....
          Sue

Comment

Working...
          X