1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 census

Can the 1881 census for England be searched by occupation and first name together? If so do you know where this can be done?

Ken

Looks like it may be possible on Ancestry.

What are you looking for?

Comment

I am on Ancestry but I can’t work out how to do that? But I am looking for Alfred Crockford Omnibus conductor; however the Crockford name does not show so I thought I might try his occupation.

I have searched by “Occupation” on one site but I need to narrow the amount of hits down with a first name but can’t do that on the same site.

Ken
      Last edited by Ken; 18-05-09, 13:21.

Comment

2 problems with searching on occupation, how the enumerator described it and whether Ancestry has mangled it.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you know what county he was in? I just tried "Alfred" and "conductor" in London and it bought up omnibus conductors, bus conductors and tram conductors which to be honest quite surprised me!
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I am on Ancestry but I can’t work out how to do that? But I am looking for Alfred Crockford Omnibus conductor; however the Crockford name does not show so I thought I might try his occupation.

Ken
            When was he born and where? Where are you expecting to find him?

Comment

He was born in Pancras Middlesex, in 1861 and he should be in Middlesex or London.

Ken

Comment

Many thanks Jean for showing me where to find that search page on Ancestry, it should help me in future searches.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X