Can you beat this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you beat this?

I have discovered that my paternal grandparents' families are connected in 4 ways.
    Firstly Thomas Frederick Smith married Margaret May Appleyard (my grandparents)
    Grandad's 2nd cousin once removed, George Stead, married Grandma's aunt, Annie Barley
    Grandma's 2nd cousin once removed Carey Barley married Grandad's 2nd cousin once removed Elizabeth Drury (credit for finding this goes to the ladies on the Generation Game)
    Finally Grandma's gg grandmother Mary Young was the sister of Grandad's gg grandfather Robert Young
    Can anyone beat that?
    Lynn

My dad married mum. His eldest sister married one of mums cousins. Her younger sister married mums cousins younger brother (2 sisters married 2 brothers)

My 1st cousins on my dads side are also my 2nd cousins on my mums side. My uncles by marriage are also my 1st cousins once removed.:D

Also
    2 cousins, same family, and sisters married 2 brothers.

Comment

It does get a bit confusing, doesn't it? Quite a few of Grandma's relatives married each other
      Lynn

Comment

Happy to say I can't beat that :D

I assume these souls lived in restricted communities and that there was no other undelying reason?

I can imagine an inter marriage to maintain the estate or because the people were a minority of midgets or giants within the community but I guess there are other more escentric reasons.

E nowt as queer as folk

Comment

Not really in my case, although all in a smallish area of north Lincs
          Lynn

Comment

I think I might be able to beat it, but mine is so complicated I might get muddled up! :o

Hastings Garner married Selina Grundy.
            Hasting's brother, Nathaniel Garner married Selina's sister Ann Grundy.
            Hasting and Nathaniel's sister, Martha Garner, married Selina and Ann's cousin, Thomas Oakey.

Hastings and Selina's daughters married George German and George Heafield, who were first cousins. George German had a brother who married the granddaughter of Thomas Oakey and Martha.

Thomas Oakey and Martha had a daughter who married John Johnson German, who was the nephew of George German mentioned earlier.

Thomas and Martha Oakey's daughter married Nathaniel and Ann's son.

Thomas Oakey had a brother Richard Grundy Oakey, who married his cousin Emma Oakey Grundy. Emma Oakey Grundy was the sister of Selina and Ann mentioned earlier.
            Thomas Oakey and Martha had a son, James, who married Anne Grundy who was the first cousin once removed of Emma Oakey Grundy, Selina Grundy and Ann Grundy.
            Anne Grundy (who married James Oakey) had a sister, Mary, who married Thomas Oakey, who was the first cousin once removed of the Thomas Oakey who married Martha Garner.

*phew*

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Wow, that is complicated Tom!
              Lynn

Comment

i think tom get's the cake!! i have a complicated tree, but not like tom's.

john matheson married margaret mckenzie of hilton.
                they're sons are alexander of aehlayoralon,who married catherine/christina mcrae and duncan mor, who married catherine mcdonnel of glengarry.
                alexander and christina had farquhar matheson of fernaig who married mary mcrae of ardintoul, and anne matheson, who married duncan and catherine's son john glass matheson.
                john glass and anne had duncan ban matheson who married farquar and mary's daughter christiana matheson.
                duncan and christiana had donald who married mary mcrae. they're sons were dugald and farquhar matheson. farquhar married two sisters isabella and mary matheson, and dugald married rebecca mclennan. farquhars granddaughter, ellen rebecca dwyer, married dugald's grandson, ronald mcfarlane matheson.

and the mcrae's mentioned above: alexander mcrae of inverinate married margaret rose of kilravock. catherine/christina mcrae who married alexander of aehlayoralon was their daughter.
                alexander then married a margaret mckenzie, and had a son christopher mcrae. he was the father of mary mcrae of ardintoul.
                to make it worse, the mary mcrae who married donald, was probably of the same mcrae family!!

thus the matheson's and mcrae's were interbred cousins on both sides of their families!!

Comment

That is definitely confusing!
                  Lynn

Comment

tell me about it!!:D

Comment

Working...
                    X