help reading census image please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help reading census image please

Can anyone help decipher a name and occcupations on the following census image please?

1841 census, reference: HO107; Piece 1; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Eaton Socon; County: Bedfordshire; Enumeration District: 20; Folio: 5; Page: 5; Line: 17

There is a Thomas Giddings, age 80; ??? Giddings, age 50; and Mary Giddings age 50.
    Ancestry has the 2nd person transcribed as Steven, but I can't make it out clearly enough to tell if that's right or wrong.
    I'm also trying to work out Thomas and "Steven's" occupations.
    The second one looks a bit like Navigator, but I don't think that's right. It seems to end in "...don" or "..."ton".

Any ideas?
    Sarah

Just found the transcription of the same census by the Escan - The Eatons Community Association, and they say the names are:
    Thomas Geddings, age 80, Navigator
    William Geddings, age 50, Navigator
    Mary Geddings, age 50

They also show burials for all of the above, so looks like that may have answered the question about the names.
    Still not 100% sure about the occupations though.
    Sarah

Comment

I agree that the occupation looks as if it ends with ...ton, but the last letter seems to be the same as on the end of the occupation Carpenter, towards the top of that page.

It could quite easily read Navigator.

Comment

Can't think of anything other than Navigator - but I see what you say about the last letter being an 'n'
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Gwyn and Elaine,
          I can't think of anything other than Navigator either.
          Eaton Socon lies very close to the River Ouse so I guess Navigator would fit.
          Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
            Just found the transcription of the same census by the Escan - The Eatons Community Association, and they say the names are:
            Thomas Geddings, age 80, Navigator
            William Geddings, age 50, Navigator
            Mary Geddings, age 50

They also show burials for all of the above, so looks like that may have answered the question about the names.
            Still not 100% sure about the occupations though.
            Just wondering if the first letter might be an 'A'

sorry ~ not very helpful
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X