scottish wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish wills

In the last couple of days I have been trying to find the birth,death or marriage of Euphemia Brown mn Morris, without success.She is on the 1861 census but when her daughter married in 1867 Euphemia was dead.I found something in the wills section of Scotland's People.The entries seem to refer to two people with the same name,but one is a Miss Euphemia.The other entry is dated 17/3/1865.I am not sure if this is the date of death.It looks promising,but is there any way of finding out more before committing £5 of my friend's money?
    Will be back in a few mins.
    Fran
    It does not say it is a will.There are 5 Pages and under the word Type it is blank then Haddington Sheriff Court
    Last edited by fran; 16-05-09, 16:33. Reason: adding

Where was she in 1861?

I would probably try finding the death between 1861 and 1867 on Scotlandspeople

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

These are the only Euphemia Morris's I can find that died 1861 - 1867.

Remember in Scotlandspeople statutory deaths are also registered in the maiden name as well as the married name which makes it a lot easier to trace.

1 1862 MORRIS EUPHEMIA (WATSON) (MOYES) F 64 ABBOTSHALL /FIFE
      2 1864 MORRIS EUPHEMIA ( ) ( ) F U KILRENNY /FIFE
      3 1867 MORRIS EUPHEMIA ( ) (MOFFAT) F 70 CAMBUSNETHAN /LANARK
      4 1867 MORRIS EUPHEMIA ( ) (RAMSAY) F 52 KILCONQUHAR AND EARLSFERRY /FIFE
      5 1867 MORRIS EUPHEMIA ( ) (LAMB) F 4 DUNDEE FIRST DISTRICT DUNDEE

As you can see only one has a mother's maiden name and only one doesn't have another name and none of them are Brown.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks,She was in Midlothian I think, near Edinburgh anyway(gave the record to my friend) with daughter Catherine(1845)I have tried on Scotland's People and as you can see ther is no death that fits the bill
        Fran

Comment

From the information you gave, none of the 13 Euphemia Brown wills between 1861 and 1901 seems to fit. I would have expected to see a maiden surname mentioned.

I wonder if she wasn't in Scotland at all.

Please can you type out what you got from the 1861 census, which might give us a clue (address, names, ages, place of birth, occupation etc. etc.!).
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I wish I could Uncle John! This tree is for my friend and I gave her the census records to show her father.I don't have Ancestry so can't look it up again,but if you have and don't mind looking, her daughter Catherine Brown born 1845 is with her,born South Leith.I can't remember the spelling of Euphemia on the record.Sorry to be a pain.
            Fran

Comment

1861:
              26 Cables Wynd, South Leith, Edinburgh

Head Euphemia Brown, 58, b. Burntisland Fife, mangle woman
              Dau. Mary Brown, 18, b. Leith, factory girl
              Dau. Catherine Brown, 16, b. Leith, factory girl

Comment

Found them in 1851 at 54 Giles Street Leith, somewhat mangled (pun sort of intended).

Alexr Brown 42 b. South Leith, warehouse porter
                Euphema Brown 42 b. Burntislan (no occ.)
                Andrew Brown 17 b. South Leith, carter
                William Brown 14, b. South Leith, cooper ap[prentice]
                Euphean Brown 12 b. South Leith, scholar
                Margret Brown 8 b. South Leith
                Catherine Brown 6 b. South Leith

Spellings are as per the Ancestry transcription. Margret seems to have changed to Mary by 1861.

Comment

Alexander doesn't appear to have left a will.

Comment

Thanks for that Uncle John.I don't suppose she left a will at all.It's just so frustrating not to find a baptism or a marriage,but I did think I would be able to find her death and get the infomation about her parents from that.Appreciate the pun!
                    Fran

Comment

Working...
                    X