Petri Hough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petri Hough

I am looking for information regarding Petri Hough born belgium 1652.
    All I know is he had a wife name Janae and two children. Guilielm b 1674 and
    Pertus b 1678 both born in Sutton on the Hill derbyshire. If anyone can help
    with any information about them I would be most grateful

Harry

Welcome to FTF!

I'm sorry, I can't help with specifics, but just to point out that the names were wife Jane, son William and daughter Peter - you have found a parish register written in Latin as was usual for the age.

How do you know Peter Hough senior was born in Belgium?

OC

Comment

Welcome to FTF Harry

OC - I don't mean to criticise - but shouldnt that be son Peter
      Barbara

Comment

*sniggers then blushes*

Erm, yes, so it should!

OC

Comment

I obtained the info I have from a pen friend in Belgium. Unfortunatley he is getting on a bit and it takes him a long to reply to my letters then I have to translate them. The names are the correct spelling . I do know of course that when used in England they become Peter and Jane. The name Petri I am informed comes from the Ukraine It was very popular there in the middle ages. The word Petri in latin means a rock or stone.
          I am really trying to find out where Petri is buried. I have tried the various churches and cemetries but no luck. I have traced my roots back to him through his children but then thats it
          Many thanks to those of you who have genuinely tried to help
          HH

Comment

hi harry,

but what about the surname hough.
            his parents must of been english to have an english surname.
            the meercat.

Comment

Hough

LDS IGI

Results for: Hough, British Isles
              Exact Spelling: Off
              Batch Number: C059512
              [refine search] [Print]
              Prepare selected records for download

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 5
              Select records to download - (50 maximum)
              1. MARIA HOUGH - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Female Christening: 22 NOV 1711 Sutton On The Hill, Derby, England

2. PETRUS HOUGH - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 13 APR 1678 Sutton On The Hill, Derby, England

3. ELISABETHA HOUGH - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Female Christening: 11 OCT 1717 Sutton On The Hill, Derby, England

4. GUILIELM. HOUGH - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 13 SEP 1674 Sutton On The Hill, Derby, England

5. GULIELMUS HOUGH - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Male Christening: 17 AUG 1714 Sutton On The Hill, Derby, England

prev | next Prepare selected records for download

Return to top of page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Harry

The baptisms have been extracted and I suspect read

Guilelm.Hough, fil.Petri Hough et Janae

which translated is

William Hough, son of Peter Hough and Jane.

This doesn't suggest a Belgian connection to me, but you obviously have a reason for thinking there is.

OC

Comment

Harry, OC is correct, these are simply Latin versions of English names, which were commonly used in parish registers at the time.

Where did you get Peter's date of birth, and why do you think he was born in Belgium?

To find the burials, you'll need to look at the parish records. If you're not in the Derbyshire area, you can order them on microfilm from your nearest LDS (Mormon) family history centre.

Comment

As OC says, it was very common for records to be in Latin at this period.

If you search using the batch number C059512 and the date 1678, you will see that most of the other entries have unusual names, eg:

DOROTHEA KIRKHAM
                    Christening: 15 DEC 1678 Sutton On The Hill, Derby, England

Parents:
                    RICHARDI KIRKHAM and DOROTHEAE

The fact that in this case mother and daughter have the same name but the endings are different indicates that we are looking at Latin entries here.

I note that a Peter Hough of Kirk Langley left a will in 1649. Kirk Langley appears to be less that 6 miles by road (and probably closer across the fields). I think you ought to get hold of a copy of this will as it may well take you further back.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                    X