Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you make of this household?

1881 census RG11/5410/6/p5

1, South Cliff Street - shows 2 domestic servants - female, unmarried, with 2 visitors one of which could be one of the women's father.

Could 2 female domestic servants have afforded to rent a house?

Anybody 'know' Tenby in 1881, from their own researches? What sort of an area is this. Seems to have several fishermen/sailors living there, though the family in nr 2 are interesting!

Ancestry has put them with the Howells at 7, South Pool, but I think this is just a mistranscription, can't see any reason for it?

Your thoughts gratefully received!
    Mavis
    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

I don't think they are renting the house as neither of them is listed as "Head".

The head of the house isn't listed, perhaps away which is why there is a visitor in his place. Usually visitors are listed after the head of the household and his/her family.

Mind you I have found my gt gt aunt in 1881 listed as Head of household when she was the kitchenmaid!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Do you think it was a holiday let??

The first visitor is a 'clergyman without cure of souls' - he is probably retired. The servants are probably his servants. The farmer could be the father of one of the servants - it would not be out of keeping for a clergyman to give the old man a holiday.

Anne

Comment

That's a good thought Anne, hadn't thought of 'holiday let', obviously near the sea, and proboably 'respectable enough' for a retired clergyman, and I suppose there's no real 'Head of Household' for the censer, especially if he wanted to show they were only visiting. Will see what Thomas Lever is doing in 1871, but suspect 10yrs is going to be too big a gap.
        Thanks Anne & little Nell.
        Mavis

Comment

Well that's put the cat among the pigeons! 1871 census:
          4, St Julian Terrace, Tenby
          Elizabeth Clayton - head - Boarding House Keeper
          Thomas C H Leaver - lodger - Clerk of Church of England without cure of souls
          plus a domestic servant.
          Mavis

Comment

Anne

Comment

So it looks like the Head was out at bingo on census night.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No, sorry OJ, didn't make it clear, Elizabeth Clayton, is one of those listed as a domestic servant in 1881, and James Clayton is there as well in 1881, who could well be her father.
                Mavis

Comment

Wonder where Thomas Leaver's wife is in 1871 and 1881. He gives himself as married. I cant find her.
                  Have found them in 1861 with a couple of servants and a footman

I'm a nosey old so and so
                  Pam

Comment

Must admit not really interested in Thomas Lever, was surprised to find him married though! Arn't the hints of 'something' that the census can give annoying.
                    Mavis

Comment

Working...
                    X