Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With a name like Indiana.....

you'd think she would be easy to find.
    Several years ago I found that my Gt. Grandfather was living with his 'cousin' Harriet Ratcliffe on the 1881. She was born in Prestwich Lancs 1850 and is on the LDS, parents Thomas and Indiana.
    I found the marriage of T=I in 1849 and she is described as Indiana Edmondson.
    I have no Edmondsons on my tree and presumed the 'cousin' was a euphemism.
    However, at long last I have found Daniel on the 1891 and he has living with him Diana Ratcliffe, aunt, born Halkin, Flintshire where his mother came from.
    To muddy the waters In(Diana) remarried in 1856 and was actually Indiana Rowland. She dies a few years later as Indiana Rowland.
    She has 2 children Harriet Ratcliffe 1850 and Thomas Ratcliffe c1854.
    I think she was Indiana Edwards and there are a few Diana Edwards on the 1841.
    Can anyone find her on the 1851?
    She should be with husband and daughter Harriet.
    I have her on the 1861 and on the 1881, both saying she was born in Chester.
    I do not have her on the 1871, she should be with husband Thomas Rowland.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by Jeanie with one n.; 16-05-09, 19:21.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Have found Harriot Ratcliffe born Prestwich as a nurse child on the 1851. No sign of parents.
    Also a couple of possible Harriet Rowland's on the 1871, one a servant (she became a housekeeper) and one a cotton baller, once again no parents.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I had a quick look earlier, with no luck. I couldn't find a birth for Harriet on FreeBMD - have you found one?

Comment

Hi Mary,
        She is recorded as Harri[Eo]T Ratcliffe !!! Manchester 20 778
        I will try to get to the record office in Hawarden next week to track down Indiana.
        Many thanks for looking.
        Jeanie
        Searching for:

Comment

Well, having spent 2 hours at Hawarden record office the wretched Indiana was not christened in Halkyn.
          She said she was born in Chester, much harder to search, on 2 censuses and Halkyn on one.
          Will have to bite the bullet and send for her marriage cert though if it says her father was whatever Edmondson I do not think it will be very helpful since I can find no Edmondsons who would be my gt. grandfathers aunt.
          Searching for:

Comment

Working...
          X