Scottish wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish wills

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer, and the Wiki section on Scottish wills hasn't been written yet.

I've found two deaths in ScotlandsPeople in the 1950s; in each case the informant was named as the executor, so presumably they both made wills.

However, the wills on ScotlandsPeople only go up to 1901.

Are more recent ones available anywhere?

Think you'd probably have to go direct to the GRO in Edinburgh. They may have a privacy cut-off the same as for the BDM's.

I know when I wanted a birth certificate for 1916 I had to apply and pay £10. Her parents marriage didn't appear on the scotlandspeople site even though it should have done and luckily the date and place was on the daughters birth certificate. This also cost me £10 to obtain a copy.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I think they would be at the National Archives of Scotland but I'm not quite sure; there is some info on their website which says:

How to find testaments from 1902
      From 1902, to search for the will and/or inventory of someone who died in Scotland or someone with Scottish connections who died outwith Scotland, you need to know:

the person's name,
      where they lived, and
      when they died.
      There is an annual index of testaments, the Calendar of Confirmations. From 1901 to 1959 it takes the form of printed or typed volumes and from 1960 it is in the form of microfiche cards. The Calendar covers all of Scotland and gives details of the deceased, their place and date of death, and details of when and where their testament is recorded. The index is available in the Historical Search Room and the Mitchell Library, Glasgow, holds copies up to 1936. From 1985-1996 there is a computer index available in the NAS search rooms.

But the rest of the page where I found that is quite out-of-date so I don't know if there's any other way of finding them.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've had a quick Google and nothing sprang out. The GROS looks like the first port of call. Proven wills are in the public domain so there should be no privacy issues.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, all - the people in question aren't in my direct line, so I guess I'll wait and see if the wills come online on ScotlandsPeople eventually.

Comment

Working...
          X