Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Certificates - Age of person

Hello Everyone,

I have a death certificate for my Joseph Hopkins of Manchester, that states his age as 50 at the time of death in 1908. What I would like to know is how exact a science was knowing the age at death. Would they just go on what the widow tells them or would it be cross checked against his birth certificate? The only Joseph Hopkins born in Leeds around that time is from 1870 - a whole 12 years different!

Kind regards,

Julia

The age would be whatever the informant thought it was.

Comment

Hello Julia...There's no cross-checking the age with birth certs...The registrar takes the informants word for it and it can vary by several years!

Sandra.
      Sandra:smilee:

Comment

Well my goodness - he must have looked old for his age then!

Thank you for your replies, I shall order the 1870 Leeds birth certificate and keep my fingers crossed.

Many thanks

Julia

Comment

Have you checked he isn't still alive on the 1911 census?

Comment

Have you found him on the 1901 census and before that? His birth may not have been registered, esp if he was born before 1975.

Have you looked for another person on the census who might fit the birth cert you are about to buy?

Comment

Hi Julia,
              I have a relative who is 10 years out on her death cert so these things do happen and it does make life very difficult for us.
              Good luck.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Is he the one married to Louise/a?

Comment

That is a good idea - off to do it now!!

Thanks Merry

p.s. definitely died in 1908, at the same address on the 1901 census, occupation Farrier and deceased on his sons marriage certificate.

Comment

yes Merry that is him!

Comment

Sorry if I didn't welcome you to FTF, but I'm a slow typist and I wanted to get in before you ordered that birth cert! lol (so, welcome!)

OK, so on 1901 and 1891 you would expect that if he died in 1908 he could easily be 50 at that date.

Do you have his marriage cert?

I can't find him easily before 1891 (ie before his marriage) so knowing his father's details could be useful!

Comment

Sorry if I didn't welcome you to FTF
                        Oh, April was last month, wasn't it??!!! lol You've been here ages! :D

Comment

Thank you for your replies, I shall order the 1870 Leeds birth certificate and keep my fingers crossed.
                          Oh no you don't - I think that child died:

Births Jun 1870
                          Hopkins Joseph Leeds 9b 399

Deaths Sep 1870
                          Hopkins Joseph 0 Leeds 9b 289

Comment

Oh Merry you lifesaver!!

I haven't got the marriage cert - I did order one but it was the wrong one so I am back to square one!

Comment

Do you have the birth cert for one of their children, to establish Louisa's maiden name?

This looks like one of them:

Births Dec 1889
                              Hopkins Joseph Frederick Chorlton 8c 815

Comment

No I haven't, and yes I should! I will order either that one or William Henry Hopkins one!

I am such a scatterbrain - trying to run before I walk!!!

Thanks Merry

Comment

lol! Let us know what happens!

Births Dec 1887
                                  Hopkins William Henry Chorlton 8c 7[68]2

I've looked at the ancestry page and I'm not sure what the page number is - 752 or 762?

You can order it from Lancs BMD - this would be much safer!

Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

Comment

Thanks for that reference Merry - I have just had a look on FMP and it is definitely 752.

I will let you know when it arrives!

Julia

Comment

Ok!!

Comment

I see Merry has ruled out the birth you found, but a quick not about the age at death - I have one where the age at death is given as "Unknown." Luckily for me it is a rather rare surname so I know it is him, but otherwise I might have been a bit stuck as he died before even the 1841 census.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                                        X