Age of building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of building?

Can any of you clever people estimate when this shop was built please? ;)

Edited to add - just realised I have to go out - will look back in later.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lindsay; 15-05-09, 20:07.

The buildings each side look as if they were built in the 1960s/1970s. Maybe the fact that the shop was left standing inbetween the newer buildings means it could be a listed building or of some historical importance. Do you know where it is? Maybe look on the relevent council's website or Google "listed buildings" in that town.

Here in Epsom we have similar buildings that were left standing when others around them were rebuilt.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I wouldn't like to say, except I think it's pseudo-Georgian. Maybe 1st half of the 20th century? The stone work on the first floor particularly strikes me as between the wars.

*prepares to be proved completely wrong!* lol

Comment

I think early 20th century.

Comment

I agree with Merry and Jill, the building appears to be from the first half of the 20th century. Maybe 1930s...

Comment

Thanks for your ideas peeps.

It's Great Portland Street in London - the exact address my GGG aunt gave when she was made bankrupt in the 1880s :(

The area was developed in georgian /regency times but I just don't know enough about architecture to work out if it's original or not. I've been googling to find out and trying to decide if there are any distinguishing feaures like 'narrow glazing bars' and so on lol!

It looked very small sandwiched between those two modern blocks.

Comment

Possibly it was rebuilt in between "original" Regency buildings which were later demolished. A lot of that area is owned by the Crown Estate. And it's quite possible the office block on the right was built by the Ministry of Works (or its successor) under Crown Privilege which avoids planning permission. It looks very 50s/60s.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Personally, it looks like a restoration to me - mostly original but with some replacement in "like". I think the banded brickwork is either new-ish, but copied the original, or else it's had a good old sandblasting.

The windows look correct for Georgian although I'm not too sure about that attic window, which looks like a late Victorian addition possibly, or a rebuild.

Whatever it is, fake or original, it's a million times better than that 50s monstrosity next to it!

OC

Comment

I just can't decide - it doesn't seem robust enough to be 1930s mock georgian (another rellie had a shop just down the road which has definitely been rebuilt in just that style) but it doesn't look terribly original either. I thought the first floor looks rather 1920s but that could be a later add on to the facade - the other windows look older.

**off to library for book on architectural styles **

Comment

If I'm right the building is neo-baroque in style, the white stone will be portland stone, it will have been put up 1930s to 1950s, but it will be on the footprint of the earlier building.

Comment

The main reason I don't think the upper portions are authentic Georgian is that the windows don't seem to be spaced correctly. They look too close together, but at the same time too far from the edges where the building joins those on each side. Proportion was everything to a Georgian architect!

If it does turn out to be genuine, then it's had a new roof as the pitch doesn't look right - I wouldn't be surprised if that's a mansard roof, though it does slope back to some extent I'd not be surprised to find the next part we can't see is flat!

Lindsay, have you tried googling the address? Many councils have a lot of online records for listed buildings etc - of course if it's relatively modern and not listed that won't prove anything! lol
                      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-05-09, 12:47.

Comment

Nothing comes up on google (except the shop that's there now!).

Sounds less and less likely that it's original...still, it's a lot better that the hideous blocks around it!

Comment

I've been googling images on Great Portland Street, if you look at Yalding House, the architecture is pretty much the same and it was built in the 1930s...

Comment

You're right Barbara, the first floor stone especially looks the same.

Comment

Of no help to you, but I used to work near Great Portland Street. I expect Westminster Archives or Marylebone Library would have records about the building's history.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think you would have to see inside to judge if the interior is original, in which case it's just had a facelift over the years. Trouble is, in the 1930s, there were very few building laws and the interior could have been mucked about completely.

I agree with Merry that the windows are not in proportion (sideways) to the frontage of the building, but I wonder if a false extension wall has been put in at some time to widen the frontage and fill the gap between the buildings. Maybe when the new buildings were put up either side.

OC

Comment

I think the style is a copy of William and Mary which was 1689 to 1702, William ruled Holland and they brought the dutch style back with them, if you google Het Loo, which is their royal palace you can see....

Comment

The first floor (stone) looks very 1930s Marks and Spencer, especially the windows..
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X