Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photocopy vs original

A question about the types of records you would keep:

If you had asked for a photocopy of a birth or marriage entry from a register office to confirm/disprove what you were looking for (and they sent you 2 strips of paper - 1 'heading' and 1 'entry', since there were many on the page), and you found the info to be correct.......would you go ahead, when funds permitted, and order a certificate - even though you would only get the same thing again, but on 'official' paper? (Plus, the copy cost 2/3 of the price of a certificate)

No, I wouldn't bother.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Absolutely not!

Comment

But register offices don't usually dish out any information for less than the full cost of a cert! How did you manage that?

Comment

Merry - it was Ireland, and many, many moons ago. Photocopies are still an option and I am ordering some more today. I'm also ordering a record that I KNOW is right - wanted to save some money, but still have a type of 'official' record rather than a transcript.

Comment

Merry - it was Ireland
            Ah, I've got a couple of those (for the wrong people ) - no I definitely wouldn't pay more for a "proper" certificate.

Comment

Unless, of course, you need official documents to prove your entitlement to an inheritance or some such!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite, actually there WAS an inheritance and they used it to come to Canada!! All gone now......

Comment

Certainly I wouldn't bother to get more than that, unless I needed to prove something to court of law level.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X