some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some help please

i asked for a lookup at st peter's leeds, on rootschat. a very kind fellow found one of the marriages i was after, that of my great great grandparents.

DAVID CROSSFIELD age 27 ( Glidhow Lane, Chapeltown ) Father RICHARD CROSSFIELD (labourer)
    to EDITH MAUD FORD age 21 (Grovenor Road, Headingley) Father PETER FORD (Market Gardener)
    Witness's RICHARD POTTER'S (mark)
    CHARLOTTE POTTER
    Curate C.W. TYLOR QUINTANT.

david was born in 1865, moortown accoeding to all census. he was in leeds his entire life.i have been able to find david at home with his mother on all census. she was on the 1851 and 61 with her husband joseph!! he died in 1870.
    she was mary crossfield, b.alwoodley, yorks. not hard to find. but if his father was joseph, why has he said richard?
    any help?

I wonder if there was some confusion at the wedding?

Is Joseph's wife Mary Wright? I saw there was a child on the 1861 census called Hannah Write aged 13 and imagined this child was a dau of Mary before her marriage.

I wondered if this was the marriage:

Marriages Jun 1851
    Ackroyd Francis Otley 23 537
    Crosfield Joseph Otley 23 537
    Hoare Celia Osley 23 537
    Hodgson Isaac Otley 23 537
    Mathews Ann Otley 23 537
    Wright Mary Otley 23 537

I found a Mary Wright in 1851 with details that matched Mary Crossfield. She was with her brothers in 1851, but in 1841 she is most likely with her parents and they are RICHARD and Elizabeth Wright in Harewood Yorks.

So, was Mary Crossfield at the wedding? It would only take someone to ask her the father's name (ie, of the groom, her son!) and she says Richard!! lol

Comment

yes, merry that's her. she wasn't hard to find at all in the census. and her daughter hannah was with joseph in 1841, no doubt visiting grandparents.
      i'm sure that's her marriage to joseph. i was actually focusing on getting edith's family sorted, through parish record's, when this popped up.
      mary wright's parents were richard wright and elizabeth lupton from what i can tell, i havn't found any bap's online yet.

granted, this wouldn't be the first time a grandparent was put down as the father. as afar as i can remember without my notes, joseph didn't have a brother called richard. he might have, im not sure.

Comment

on IGI there David Crosfield
        03 FEB 1865 Moortown, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
        father Joseph Crosfield, mother Mary Wright
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

when would Mary have been born?
          there is a Mary born to Richard and Betty
          Birth: 23 OCT 1827 Christening: 25 NOV 1827 Harewood, Yorkshire, England

genuki has alwoodley as part of harewood
          Last edited by jean; 15-05-09, 18:52.
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Alwoodley isn't really part of Harewood, Alwoodley is on the very outskirts of Leeds, Harewood is a village and big house about half way between there and Harrogate. My sister in law lives in Alwoodley which is Leeds 17, Gledhow Lane is in Chapeltown, Moortown, Headingley and Chapeltown are on the way back into Leeds Centre. Though we don't live there now both my husband and I came from Leeds. He coming from Roundhay which is much posher than my neck of the woods at Swarcliffe....;)

Comment

yes, that's the right people. the wright's were from roundhay, might have been the lupton's. i saw the igi entries, but i believe they're all submitted. so im not 100% on accuracy, though i am inclined to believe them.

Comment

Working...
              X