Thank you Lancashire OPC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Lancashire OPC!

Today I received the Administration of John Newton of Lidgate in Saddleworth, who I was hoping was an ancestor of OH. However, it wasn't very helpful as it only named his widow and relict as Hannah. No mention of children. :(

However, it mentioned:

Gamaliel Buckley (lovely name!)
    and
    William Wrigley
    both of Saddleworth.

Whilst googling I came across the Lancs. OPC records for Mossley,
    Baptisms at the Methodist New Connexion
    in the Parish of Mossley

I found:

Baptism: 2 Apr 1845 Methodist New Connexion, Mossley, Lancashire
    Jane Newton - dau of William Newton & Mary (formerly Andrew)
    Born: 17 Feb 1812
    Abode: Stayley
    Notes: This is their 2nd daughter. Mother is daughter of William Andrew of Roughtown, Saddleworth Parish.
    Baptised by: J Shore

This is OH's great-great-grandmother, for whom I had a birth year of 1812 but no further information.

However, it throws up lots of questions -

1. Why wasn't she baptised after birth. Her sister Sarah ws born in October 1809 and was baptised there in November 1809.
    2. By 1845 Jane had been married to her cousin James Newton for 11 years (they married by licence in Southwark London). Why is there no mention of her being already married By this time they already had 7 children!!
    3. I have never found a death for Jane Newton (in London). OH's great-grandfather, George Herbert Newton, was born in December 1850 and he and Jane are on the 1851 census in Trinity Square Newington with the rest of the family. (There is no birth cert. for George - luckily I found his christening record). That is the last I have about Jane. Where and when did she die? Did she die in the Staley/Mossley/Saddleworth area?

P.S. I should be working!!

I'm still trying to prove that James' father Joseph and Jane's father William Newton were the sons of John and Hannah Newton of Lidgate. Wiliam Newton was born in Lidgate (Saddleworth).

These OPC records were only put on the Internet in April! THANK YOU!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I think that Lancs, Cornwall and Sussex OPCs have done a particularly impressive job in making records available online. There may be other OPCs who have done so, but I haven't spotted them... Oh, sorry, there's Hampshire, too, of course.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, I think they are brilliant!

Without the Cornwall OPC I wouldn't know much about my Quintrell ancestors.

The thing I particularly liked about the above baptisimal entry was the amount of detail that the minister entered - It is so clearly OH's great-great-grandmother because it gives both parents and states her mother was the daughter of William Andrew of Roughtown, which I know from Janes's father William's will!!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

That baptism entry reads as if it were under the rulings of ?Bishop Dade - who required the baptism registers in his diocese (?archdiocese?) to include all that detail.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          That baptism entry reads as if it were under the rulings of ?Bishop Dade - who required the baptism registers in his diocese (?archdiocese?) to include all that detail.

Christine
          I thought that too, Christine - I was reading about that just the other day.

I am immensely grateful, as there are so many Newtons around. It really let me know it was the correct person.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

I find that most of the non-conformist records I look at are far more informative than the C of E records.

One particular non-con church put everyone into family groups and named parents and both sets of grandparents and subsequent spouses. Wonderful stuff.

OC

Comment

All my non-con records are brilliant....three generations and witnesses.

But I've also found the Lancs BTs helpful. I've had a couple of entries that had incorrect mother's names (Agnes instead of Agatha, so not huge) in the PR and in the BT they were correted saying........
              "The correct mother is Agatha, daughter of Anthony Sawrey. Agnes is the mother of Agatha's husband, David, and the daughter of Hugh Addison."

Couldn't wish for more really.....................unless they added the baptism of said David, who looks to have buried without the benefit of baptism.......lol

Comment

Working...
              X