really confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really confused

I have just started to do some Scottish reasearch.I found that the parents of Catherine Brown(25/5/1845) were Alexander Brown and Euphemia Morris.They appear on 1841 census onwards.Euphemia has her name spelled in various ways and her age varies.The only marriage that I could find in the right place(South Leith,Midlothian) at the right time was Alexander Brown to Elspeth Morris(22/5/1829)If I accept that this is the right one then her father was called David Morris.I cannot find a birth for Euphemia.
    I went onto familysearch to see if I could find anything there.
    This is what I found;
    David Morris to Christian Kirk 21/4/1794 Edinburgh Parish
    David Morres to Christian Kirk 21/4/1794 Dunfirmline Fife
    David Morres to Christian Edinburgh 21/4/ Dunfirmline Fife
    These records are all extracted.
    How can this be explained?
    Do you think the marriage cert for Elspeth is really Euphemia?
    Fran

Originally posted by fran View Post
    This is what I found;
    David Morris to Christian Kirk 21/4/1794 Edinburgh Parish
    David Morres to Christian Kirk 21/4/1794 Dunfirmline Fife
    David Morres to Christian Edinburgh 21/4/ Dunfirmline Fife
    These records are all extracted.
    How can this be explained?
    The third one is a mistake - it should say Christian Kirk, Edinburgh. The other two are the reading of the banns in the parishes where each of the couple lived.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you think the marriage cert for Elspeth is really Euphemia?
      You would need some more proof to be sure, because they're all pretty common names so it could be a different couple. If you can look at the images of the marriage entry and their children's baptisms etc then maybe you will get more information to prove or disprove it. Also you could search on Scotland's People to see if any of their relatives left wills which might give more info.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Looking on Family Search, there are seven children of Alexander Brown and Euphemia Morris listed, dates ranging from 1834 to 1849. There are two with parents Alexander Brown and Elspeth Morris, Alexander in 1830 and Hugh in 1832. So this could mean that Alexander first married an Elspeth, and later married a Euphemia, or it could be the same woman using two different names. There are some burials on Scotland's People now, so you could look to see if there is an Elspeth Brown or Morris buried between 1832 and 1834.
        KiteRunner

Comment

or maybe the parish priest screwed up? have you found the alternative couple on the census?
          or there two children?

Comment

Thanks both of you.Never thought of banns.So one lived in Midlothian and the other one lived in Fife.Yesterday I gave the census record to my friend whose family it is,but I have a note in my book which says "Euphemia 1809 bn.Bumtislan Fife"Can't remember where I got this information,but am I right in thinking that they would probably get married in the bride's parish? Haven't looked for Elspeth and Alexander on census records.It will probably have to wait as I haven't got Ancestry.. Will look for burial for Elspeth.
            Fran

Comment

Have found an Elspeth Brown died 1833 Midlothian.Name Morris drew a blank,but could be mistranscribed I suppose.

Comment

If you look at the image for the burial it might give you more information, or have you already done that?
                KiteRunner

Comment

I have a note in my book which says "Euphemia 1809 bn.Bumtislan Fife"Can't remember where I got this information,but am I right in thinking that they would probably get married in the bride's parish?
                  I think that will be BURNTISLAND.

Scottish marriage records are a bit different from English ones - sometimes there is no record of the actual marriage, just of the banns. Also there were some marriages where no official ceremony took place.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I have looked at the image but no further details

Comment

I'm thinking Elspeth and Euphemia were sisters but we would need to find a birth for Euphemia to confirm that! Or their father's will or something like that.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

I am not optomistic.I have tried to find the births with no success.I also tried to find the death of Euphemia Brown between the 1861 census and the marriage of daughter Catherine in April of 1867. The death in 1875 is not the correct one.Thanks anyway.

Comment

I have a person in my tree (Mary McDougall) who states on every census she was born Burntisland, Fife, and is consistent with her age...but I've never been able to find her birth, or her parents' marriage, either on the IGI or the parish records on Scotland's People. I did find a record of birth for someone who may well be her sister, but that isn't much help.

I have a suspicion the Fife records are not complete...but perhaps someone with more knowledge can advise.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Beverly.It's perhaps not the only place that is not complete as she moved to Haddington area(Edinburgh) and I cannot find her on anything.I notice in the wills section there is a will of a Euphemia Brown dated 17/3/1865.I don't know if there is a chance that it is her as there is a second one that year but she is described as "Miss" I don't even know if they could possibly be the same person.It would really help if I could find her death.
                            Fran

Comment

Working...
                            X