When did Arthur Duggleby die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Arthur Duggleby die?

A distant uncle ancestor of mine was born in Hull in about 1863 and his name was Arthur Duggleby. Question is, I can't find any trace of when he died. The reason I ask is that he would appear to be the brother in law of Elizabeth Mulligan my GGGM. Both he and his wife appear as witnesses for Elizabeth's marriage to Arthur Wilson and yet the surname has changed for the wife on my grandparents marriage certificate as a witness. Am I right in deducing that its likely that Arthur Duggleby died at sometime between 1891 (when Arthur Wilson and Elizabeth Mulligan married) and 1919 (when my grandparents Thomas Wilson and Lilias Smith married), but according to my searches on Ancestry, he is a very elderly man as he appears to still be about!!

Can anyone manage to find Arthur Duggleby's death for me. MTIA.

There's an Arthur Duggleby death Apr-Jun 1931 age 69, Malton district. Could that be him? I don't really get what you mean about the surname of the wife changing, sorry.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

How do you know the 1919 witness is Arthur's wife/widow?

Have you found a re-marriage for Arthur's wife to someone with the new surname?

Comment

was his wife Agnes?

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4467; Folio: 94; Page: 38.
        Arthur Duggleby 38
        Agnes Duggleby 37
        John 9
        Arthur 7
        Bernard 5
        Verna 2

he looks to be there ( if its the right lot) in 1911 too

DUGGLEBY

AGNES 39
        AGNES 11
        ARTHUR 1867 <<<<
        ARTHUR 16
        JOHN 18

in Sculcoates
        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 15-05-09, 09:05.
        Jess

Comment

this must be the marriage of 'Agnes' & Arthur

which is where Mulligan comes in

Marriages Jun 1891
          Duggleby Arthur Beverley 9d 156
          Mulligan Maria Agnes A Beverley 9d 156
          Mulligan Marian Agnes _ Beverley 9d 156
          Jess

Comment

Jessbowbag is right, she has got the right family of Duggleby's.

What I meant was is that Arthur and Agnes are shown as witnesses for the Mulligan/Wilson wedding my GGGP's, Elizabeth Mulligan was Agnes's sister and that was in 1891. What I was wondering was when my grandparents got married Elizabeth Wilson is shown as one witness, a Mary A ? (not Duggleby)the other. I think Mary Anne and Agnes are one and the same person, as she was born with the name Mary Anne and is shown as MA in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. She went into service and it was common practice for the names to be changed to a more fitting name for a servant. Arthur Duggleby as it turns out was still alive in 1911, the ages are right from the censuses. He could have died at some point between 1911 and 1919, hence I'd wondered if Mary Anne had remarried and reverted to her old first name.

Probably best if I let you have a look at the marriage certificates to illustrate what I mean.

The first is the marriage certificate of Elizabeth and Arthur Wilson

<image deleted due to copyright>

and the second my grandparents marriage in 1919

<image deleted due to copyright>

The information about the family is identical to that found by my third cousin, given what he knows about the family, but he has never been too sure how they fitted in the tree. I don't believe in coincidences and wanted more pairs of eyes just to be sure.

I can't make out the name of the witness on the 2nd cert, it looks like Mary Anne Herresey but that can't be right, can it?
            Last edited by LorraineJ; 15-05-09, 10:15.

Comment

I would say Mary Ann Hussey, but Mary Ann was a very common name, I'm not sure why you think it's the same person?
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                I would say Mary Ann Hussey, but Mary Ann was a very common name, I'm not sure why you think it's the same person?
                The reason why I wondered is because when Mary A was a little girl, she is on the censuses as Mary A, Mary Agnes, Maria A, Marion A, Agnes and yet its the same family, there wasn't an Agnes as a first name and yet given the family knowledge of my third cousin, we have to have got the right family and it also fits in apparently with where the family lived. Seems to me that it could be the same person, who remarried, on the other hand, it could be a total coincidence.

Comment

If you can get a copy of the original marriage certificate with the actual signatures on then you could compare the handwriting, but of course handwriting changes over the years so might not prove anything one way or the other. Probably easier to try to find a Mary Ann Hussey who is connected to the family!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

If you can get a copy of the original marriage certificate with the actual signatures on then you could compare the handwriting, but of course handwriting changes over the years so might not prove anything one way or the other. Probably easier to try to find a Mary Ann Hussey who is connected to the family!
                    Thanks anyway.

Comment

There's a Hussey family in Creswell in 1911. (was that where Thomas Wilson and Lilias Smith got married?)

George Moses 59
                      Mary Ann 49 (maiden name Mellors or Mellars)
                      Rebecca Maud 24
                      John William 23
                      George Arthur 20
                      Roland Stephen 16
                      Beatrice Annie 4

...who might, or might not, be your witnesses family.

The probem with witnesses is that they don't have to be family and they might not even be friends or even acquaintances - a friend of mine was dragged into the register office to be a witness to a wedding, as the couple had only brought one person and they needed two.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        There's a Hussey family in Creswell in 1911. (was that where Thomas Wilson and Lilias Smith got married?)

George Moses 59
                        Mary Ann 49 (maiden name Mellors or Mellars)
                        Rebecca Maud 24
                        John William 23
                        George Arthur 20
                        Roland Stephen 16
                        Beatrice Annie 4

...who might, or might not, be your witnesses family.

The probem with witnesses is that they don't have to be family and they might not even be friends or even acquaintances - a friend of mine was dragged into the register office to be a witness to a wedding, as the couple had only brought one person and they needed two.

No my grandparents didn't marry until 1919. It may well be that Mary Anne was a friend or could have been a complete stranger, not necessarily a family member. It does seem strange though that Cresswell is the common denominator.

Comment

Not really, because if they got married in Creswell then it's not surprising for a witness to come from Creswell, is it?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Not really, because if they got married in Creswell then it's not surprising for a witness to come from Creswell, is it?
                            True. It would be interesting to find out though whether she was a relative, close friend or a complete stranger.

Comment

I dont think its the same lady either

if I could see agnes re-marrying
                              or
                              Arthur dying then yes maybe, but cant see either.
                              Jess

Comment

is this your bloke in 1871 census?

born 1862 Sherburn, Yorkshire, England , son of Maria & William?

Perhaps thats why he called his wife by her 2nd name?
                                Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                                  is this your bloke in 1871 census?

born 1862 Sherburn, Yorkshire, England , son of Maria & William?

Perhaps thats why he called his wife by her 2nd name?
                                  Unsure but will have to look later.

Comment

Working...
                                  X