what do i needto know about scanners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do i needto know about scanners?

I want to get a scanner to scan all my old photos - some go back to 19th century- so what do i look out for when buying one please.?
    I have been on argos website and they have one for £33.89 its acutally a printer scanner all in one job but as i have a printer already i am not bothered about using it for printing but need a decent scanner.
    do more dots per inch dpi mean its better for old photos? i have windows XP on my machine
    thanks
    Angelina

Avoid combined printer/scanners if you already have a printer, they are a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. You'll get much better quality from a standalone scanner.

Basically the higher the dpi the finer the detail you can scan. The age of the photo makes little difference.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

and don't get one that bends your photos ~ also remember to look at the price of the ink cartridges
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Pete and Rachel -thanks very much - thats most useful - will check out your suggestions
        its a flatbed I am after and more dots to the inch that i can get
        Angelina

Comment

Hi Angelina,

Check out the Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner (6400dpi). Not cheap, but pretty good reviews, especially in it's scanning of old faded photos. Amazon have cheapest price at the moment.

Comment

Working...
          X