Family Historian V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian V4

Has anyone upgraded to version 4 yet? I'm thinking about doing it sometime during the next few weeks and just wondered if anyone had any comments on it yet.

I have and it's very good - I went for the full CD version to save messing around with the pile of CDs I had accumulated. A bonus with that was a 30-day subscription to WorldVitalRecords.com

Some differences, but I haven't explored all the new possibilities yet apart from the Undo button!! I am busy changing all my external links and putting all my flags and custom queries in ... that is to do with it going on a new machine and no fault of the upgrade.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Caroline, so I guess you've not come across any little niggles yet.

I'm keen to upgrade from my 3.x so may even look into doing it next week. I will go for the downloadable upgrade as it's easier than having a box posted. :D

Comment

I haven't, although the mailing list is very busy and can give the wrong impression!! It is like using any other revamped software - you do things on auto pilot and it is just a case of finding where they have put things in the new version. The focus window is a very good innovation, but I tended to work mostly through the diagrams so that may change.
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I haven't changed and am not thinking about it at the moment. I'm sure I'll be tempted in the end but at the moment I just don't know how it will benefit me

I'm very happy with the v3.1 I have at the moment. I don't use anywhere near all the features so I'm looking forward to any comments people have about
          a) how much of a learning curve it was to change
          b) what, specifically, they find useful with v4 that they didn't have before
          c) any problems - although, as Caroline says, the forum tends to emphasise those and probably exaggerate the proportion.

I can see the 'undo' would be good (save going all round the houses sometimes) but is that enough to justify going for the new one?

Anne

Comment

I too am very happy with v3 but I also like to keep uptodate with things if I can. I like new features, improvements, etc. I prefer to get peeps comments before I take the upgrade step though, just in case there's something niggly I might not like. :D

Comment

Is there a trial version of v4 yet? I would prefer to have a play first before I commistted cash !

Anne

Comment

There is a 30 day download for V4.
                Caroline

Comment

Ah, thank you Caroline. I'll take a look when I get back from my holiday.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    There is a 30 day download for V4.
                    If you already have V3 and then install the trial of V4 on the same machine you can't roll back or go to the full version without re-installing V3 first. :(

For me that means installing V2, then the V3 upgrade then finally V4, a right Royal pain. I think I will wait until I can afford the full version 4.
                    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

If you would like to see some of the new "bits" of V4, I did a few short introduction videos over at FHUG

How To's for V4 [Knowledge Base Wiki]
                      Jane
                      Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                      "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Looking good Jane! Thank you very much for the video link. :D

Comment

Loaded v4, upgrade from v3, and had a play. Great 'look and feel' and so far bug free. I like the new layouts and the side docking. It upgraded without any inconvenience.

I tried lots of software before choosing FH but I think the cost is justified for such quality. For me the graphical displays and navigation of the tree are important. And the fact that they use GEDCOM for backup shows a commitment to openness. Thanks to the members here who pointed me at it in February

Comment

Jane - thank you for the demos you have made. I have had a look and they have answered some of my queries! Still not made my mind up - just wanted to thank you for all the work you do for us on FHUG

Anne

Comment

I would also like to add my thanks to Jane for both the informative tuturials she has written and the help she so freely gives on FHUG.

The FHUG community and the GEDCOM software that Nick Walker wrote for entering Census info, tipped the balance in favour of FH when I was choosing which new software to buy. Unfortunatley I purchased it just before the cut off date so I don't get a free upgrade and I am currently deciding whether I should upgrade or not, bearing in mind I am still on a learning curve with V3!!

Debbie

Comment

I tried using Gedcom census with version 4 today but it does not like where FH stores the media and would not let me open the images I had not yet linked to a source.
                                Nick is working on a new program which I may have to wait for later in the year or find a work around.
                                Otherwise I am happy with the upgrade though still experimenting at the moment.

Comment

I've downloaded the free trial and have been using it with gedcom census, and have had no problem at all opening or linking images.
                                  As I have only used FTM 2006 up to now it's a bit of a learning curve getting used to FH, but so far so good.
                                  Sarah

Comment

It is a learning curve, transferring to FH but well worth it. I soon realised that there is no need to learn everything at once. I'm sure I don't use half the features now - but I can always get round to learning about them later.

That's what's making me hesitate about getting v4! Resistance to learning :o
                                    I've had a look at the examples and am impressed so it probably won't be long before I succumb.

anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                      It is a learning curve, transferring to FH but well worth it. I soon realised that there is no need to learn everything at once.
                                      I think you've hit the nail on the head there Anne.
                                      I was a bit overwhelmed by it at first, but I'm finding my way around just trying out new things little by little. I think FH will help me (and my tree) become a lot more organised :D and Gedcom Census is a great help in that area too.
                                      Sarah

Comment

As there doesn't appear to be any major grumbles about V4 I may well upgrade to it sooner rather than later. Will let you know if I have any problems.

Comment

Working...
                                        X