Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Hi,

I have found the medal record for my grt granddad, and I wondered if anyone can advise how to understand the codes on the record under victory. To our knowledge he did not serve overseas, but I am not sure.

Victory: Roll: K / 1 / 102BZZ Page: 3949

Leicestershire and Norfolk Regiments.

Sorry, just read something, these codes were entered under Victory and British so I read that to mean he did serve overseas in a theatre of war somewhere and received the Victory and British War medals.

Comment

You might find this site of help.
      Researching a soldier: interpreting a medal index card
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Thanks Elaine, I did come across that site earlier and lots of useful info about where the regiments served etc, and it explains the medal rolls but I can't find an index of what the actual codes on the medal entries mean.

I will keep searching and will post back if I find anything to help others

Comment

I don't think there is any code as such, it is just the reference number to find the entry on the medal roll itself, which can only be done at the National Archives.

Comment

To my understanding if he got the Victory Medal but not the British War Medal, that means he served overseas but not in a war zone. The roll entry at Kew may give his Regiment battallion which would let you know exactly where he would have served.

Comment

Working...
            X