Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchangeable Jewish names

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the names Aaron and Harry are recognised interchangeable names within the Jewsih commuinty?

Thanks

Keptin

As I (and several other people on here, lol!) am now a world expert in Jewish names, I can confidently state....they might be interchangeable, lol.

Jewish men have three names usually.
    Their sacred Jewish name which they use in synagogue.
    Their everyday name which they are known by in the wider non-Jewish community.
    Their family/pet name, which has some family significance.
    Their sacred name is usually given to them at bar mitzvah although they will have chosen the name long before that (their parents will).

Some Jewish sacred names are three names (oh, do try to keep up!) such as Hyman David Solomon. Other three part names have usually primarily a religious significance, with a bit of local significance thrown in for good measure.

And then you have to contend with the anglicisation of markedly Jewish names such as Hyman - becomes Harry, Jacob becomes Jack and so on.

So to answer your original question yes, it is perfectly possible that Aaron could become Harry - but just try proving it! Jewish names are a minefield.

OC

Comment

I don't think Aaron and Harry are interchangeable as such. But if you have a chap who you think is the same person, who is recorded as Harry in some places and Aaron as others, then its possible he was known by two different names.

My husband's gt gt gt grandfather is down as Solomon on his son's birth cert, Zalig on the marriage cert and threw me completely till I found his death cert - Solomon Zalig Hart.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Is it possible that Aaron is called Ari which becomes anglicised to Harry.
        Glen

Comment

There is a search for Jewish name alternatives on Ancestry Search Jewish Given Name Variations - Ancestry.com

Comment

Working...
          X