Searching on ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching on ancestry

I do not know if it is a coincidence but my husband has changed service providers and I have had to re enter my ancestry.co.uk site.
    Instead of being in the old format it is quite changed.
    It is particularly irritating for looking up censuses.
    In the past if you put in Brewerton and nothing else, all the Brewertons in alphabetical order would come up. You could then go into county and town.
    Now, if I put in Brewerton, Cholsey Berkshire it comes up saying it does not exist. If I untick the exact box up come Brewertons from Cholsey.
    I am trying to put all the Brewertons on different censuses on to Excel and it is much more difficult.
    Does anyone know how to get back to the old search facility?
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

If I remember correctly, stick any old name into the search. Click search and on the first page that comes up there's a box that says something like "return to old search experience". Click that and you should be where I am! lol

Comment

Yes, there should be a thing saying "Switch to old search experience" and you can click on that. But I think they are getting rid of the old search soon so I suppose we should get used to the new one! And there is "new navigation" coming soon for us to contend with as well.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks Merry and Kite.
        I do wish they would stop mucking about!!
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

That'll make it impossible to look up using the census reference won't it??

Must admit I find it very difficult to find the results I'm after using the new format. I always use the old way with a lot less hassle.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            But I think they are getting rid of the old search soon so I suppose we should get used to the new one!
            Seriously? that's terrible!

I tried the new one and gave up after a very short time because it was so useless. They're going to be getting mass defections to FMP if they're not careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Seriously? that's terrible!

I tried the new one and gave up after a very short time because it was so useless. They're going to be getting mass defections to FMP if they're not careful.
              I agree, Mary :(

Comment

The new search won't let you put in a ref. It took me ages (and lots of help from Elaine!) for me to realise that was why I couldn't use the refs I was being given!!:D
                Clare

Comment

This is a bit weird - I've just gone onto the 1891 UK census collection search page and instead of "First Name" it says "Test Name"! What's that all about, I wonder?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

That´s strange Kate. When I go to the 1891 census via my favourites then it says First name(s), but if I go to it through a link on Ancestry in says Test Name.
                    Elaine

Comment

I've just gone on to ancestry and noticed loads of new things and information about new records. I see also they now have deaths from the
                      Times newspaper 1982-1988
                      GWEN

Comment

Elaine, is the link in your favourites to UK census or just English census?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

I have a link in my favourites to each of the English and Welsh census, plus the full UK census collection. I connected to the 1891 English census as I thought that was the one you meant (you said 1891 UK census collection)
                          Elaine

Comment

I've got a link to the "1891 UK census collection" on my ancestry homepage, Elaine (and the same for each other census year) so it takes me to a search page for the England, Wales and Scottish censuses for that year all in together, and I was just wondering if "Test Name" was only appearing on that search page, but it sounds as though that isn't the explanation after all.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh Kate, that´s interesting. Didn´t realise there was a search facility for England/Scotland/Wales for each year. Where did you find the links?
                              Elaine

Comment

Ignore that Kate, I´ve just found them!
                                Elaine

Comment

Hi, completely off the topic here but I live 2 mins away by car to Cholsey!
                                  I don't know if you lived/visited here, but if not and there is anything I can do to try to help your searches then I am here!
                                  Tessie

Comment

Oh! thank you Tessie.
                                    I am carrying out a one name study on the name Brewerton and have been copying all the names down on Excel.
                                    It just happened that I was looking at Brewertons in Cholsey when I realized that the search had changed.
                                    But will keep you in mind!!
                                    Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                                    X