Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father crossed out. does this mean what I think it does?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father crossed out. does this mean what I think it does?

Someone I know has sent for certificates on their ancestors and both birth certificates have come back with the father's name crossed through. I thought this was because the children where illegitimate, am I right or is there another possible explanation? The births were around 1902.

Do you mean the name has been crossed out or do you mean that a line has been put through the column where father's name should be recorded?

if there's a line through it means illegitimate.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

On my nanna's birth cert from 1922 her father's name is underlined. There's also some writing at the end which is quite hard to read. But it looks like it's an amendment. The name isn't actually crossed out though.

Because of this I had a look at the divorces on the national archives. It turned out that the year after my nanna was born her parents got divorced. I requested the file and apparently her mum had an affair and he claimed that he wasn't the father.

Comment

No name where the father should be, just crossed through. I just wondered if anyone could come up with another explanation.

Comment

No, it will mean they were illegitimate, Lorraine.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you can find the christening then the vicar may have made a note of the father's name if you're lucky.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
            X