Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Wildgoose (or Wilkinson) 1812

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me tie up a few loose ends with one of my branches
    Edwin Wildgoose (or Wilkinson) born Cromford Derbyshire 1812, Married to Sarah Britland 29 Oct 1838, born Cromford 1811. Their first child William born 1839 Cromford. He is living or staying with his grandfather Jesse Britland in Cromford in 1841 on census night. But, I can not find his parents.

I have his parents in 1851, 61, 71, and 81. And this is not easy as on the census returns he and is family are recorded as Wilkinson. Edwin was born out of wedlock and his father or stepfather, Joseph Wilkinson married Edwin's mother, Dorothy, two years after Edwin's birth.

I must also add they could be anywhere.

Their second son (that I know of) was born in Salford, Lancashire 1847. In 1851, they were still in Salford, in 1855 and 1856 two children born in Derby. 1861 they were in Nottingham, 1871 Retford, Nottinghamshire and then finally 1881 they were in Beetham, Westmoreland. I presume they died after this as they did not show up on further census returns.

I have two problems. firstly I would like to find them on the 1841 census and secondly I would like to find out when and where they (Edwin and Sarah) died.

All help will be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 13-05-09, 13:26.

Possibly:
    Deaths Mar 1882
    WILKINSON Edwin 69
    Barnsley 9c 94

They did like to move around a bit!
    Tracy

Comment

Hi,

Take it you know about the website Edwin

'Fraid it doesn't give you any info, but wondered whether you would care to enter up the children under Edwin's entry?

A Wildgoose (London) married my Gt Granduncle

Carol

Comment

Hi Carol,

No, I haven't come across this site. My ancestry subs have lapsed (lack of funds or the kids taking what spare funds there are lol). Can I still update?

Comment

I don't think it's anything to do with Ancestry. The site (which is sort of a one-name study) is run by Kay Feltham, email cousinkay@googlemail.com.

She is always happy to have some extra info to add to the entries.

Your Dorothy and her parents are there - you may be able to pick up some peripheral info on twigs

I too have given up my Ancestry sub, but just heard that a library in the next borough has free access which I will be able to use.

Carol

Sorry - I didn't notice the Ancestry bit at the top. I have ever only communicated directly with Kay.
          Last edited by Carol Bird; 13-05-09, 16:54.

Comment

Hi Carol,

I have just been looking at the site... it is really good. And I have managed to find information to add to my tree. I have to confess to being a bit naughty and getting my information on this branch from the igi website which is not always reliable. The information on this site not only backs up the information I have, but adds to it. I will certainly contact Kay, particularly as Edwin can't decide if he is a Wildgoose or a Wilkinson so I am not sure if his children want adding or not!!

Comment

Hi I wonder if some one would be kind and check out two census returns for me.

I am having to rely on ancestry at the library and I thought I had managed to save them to a pen drive..... but not being very computer literate, I hadn't.

I found a Sarah Wildgoose aged 27 living with a son Edwin (three months), Stavely, Derbyshire. I was hoping to check who they were living with.

Also, a few weeks I found a Joseph Wilkinson living in the area, I think. He was born in 1793 so should be about 48 - 50. If I am right this should be Sarah's father in law. He was a Joiner when he married in 1814

I still have not managed to find Edwin - I wonder where he was?

I really think I am going to have to bite the bullet and renew my ancestry subscription - does any one know of any special offers?

Many thanks, Sandra

Comment

I assume you mean 1841 ?

the household comprises

Sarah Wildgoose 27 , Edwin Wildgoose 3 Mo, Ann Arthuir 15 & Robert Marples 20

They might actually be sharing a house ( looking at th Image)
                with George Stevenson 60, Hannah Stevenson also 60. 23 year old Samuel and an Ann age 7
                Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-05-09, 18:13.
                Jess

Comment

Hi Jess, Yes I did, thanks for that. Would it be possible to post some information on Joseph Wilkinson. I think he was also in Stavely.

Many thanks, Sandra

Comment

Working...
                  X