Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second opinion & understanding Scottish MC

Can you help reading this document it is col 5 that is causing the probs
    I think it reads Donald MacRae? why as son name is spelt McRae, Tailor, now underneath does it say Elizabeth Hutchison and ? S Archer.
    David Craik ploughman Decd
    Ester Craik, then Mc? M.S.Robertson.
    Is anyone used to these scottish docs if so can you explain Elizabeth is wife of Donald but who is Archer same with Msrobertson

GWEN

I forgot to add is it worth spending £10.00 to order the Orig doc
    GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
      I forgot to add is it worth spending £10.00 to order the Orig doc
      Only if the download is not available - but in this case it obviously is.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Now, going back to your original question - it is M.S. short for maiden surname.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Donald Mcrae
          Tailor

Elizabeth Hutchinson
          M.s. (Maiden surname) Archer

David Craik
          Ploughman (Deceased)

Esther Craik or Speare(?) (Sounds like she re-married)
          M.S. Robertson
          Last edited by Orangeblossom; 13-05-09, 12:03.
          Tracy

Comment

Right, the parents for James are Donald Macrae, Tailor, and Elizabeth Hutchison M.S. Archer, so that suggests that Elizabeth Archer married a Mr. Hutchison but had a child by Donald Macrae.

Ellen's parents are David Craik, Ploughman (deceased) and Esther Craik or Spence, M.S. Robertson, so that looks as though David and Esther were married and had Ellen, then David died and Esther then married a Mr. Spence.
            KiteRunner

Comment

There is an Elizabeth Archer marriage to William Hutcheson in 1857 Auchterhouse, Angus, on the IGI. Is that in the same area as your people? If that's her marriage then she had James a few years before she married William Hutcheson.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Hmmm, the IGI has Esther Robertson married Alexander Spence 5 Sep 1862 Tealing, Angus, so that looks like her. But I can't see her marriage to David Craik.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Ahh, that explains why I couldn't find them, but could find David dying in 1875.
                  Tracy

Comment

Hi Re the Mc and Mac

On Scottish Certificates the registrar officer fills out the certificate except where it says "Signed" and the bride, groom, witnesses and minister signed their own name. If you look at the D in David, Davidson and Deceased they are all different.

Quite often you get Mac and Mc on certificate My mothers m/s name was McDonald I have it as one of my middle names and my certificate it is MacDonald.

added
                    Just noticed the Elizabeth Hutchison Archer that will be the full birth name of Elizabeth if it was a previous marriage it would be written as Elizabeth McRae or Hutchison MS Archer
                    Last edited by deletejb; 13-05-09, 12:36.

Comment

This is odd... both are extracted...

ELISABETH ARCHER
                      Spouse: W._W HUTCHISON
                      Marriage: 12 DEC 1857 Auchterhouse, Angus, Scotland
                      M112731

Spouse: WILLIAM HUTCHESON
                      Marriage: 28 NOV 1857 Auchterhouse, Angus, Scotland
                      M112735

SP only has one match, but I don't have any credits to see which one it is.
                      Last edited by Orangeblossom; 13-05-09, 12:31.
                      Tracy

Comment

Thanks everyone I've only just started to look for this family and had trouble finding James prior to 1881 census. But then I found a James McRae on 1851 census Grandchild living with a David and Jean Archer Ed 4 Page 8 Roll 714
                        I thought may be it was him.
                        I am not used to tracking and using the scottish records yet so was a bit confused. It makes more sense now you have explained MS. The problem I have with this family is James especially keeps using a different year of birth and it seems where ever he is living he uses that place as his place of birth.
                        GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by deletejb View Post
                          Just noticed the Elizabeth Hutchison Archer that will be the full birth name of Elizabeth if it was a previous marriage it would be written as Elizabeth McRae or Hutchison MS Archer
                          It says Elizabeth Hutchison M.S. Archer. I would think that the reason it doesn't say Elizabeth McRae or Hutchison is because she never married Donald McRae so was never known as Elizabeth McRae.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                            This is odd... both are extracted...

ELISABETH ARCHER
                            Spouse: W._W HUTCHISON
                            Marriage: 12 DEC 1857 Auchterhouse, Angus, Scotland
                            M112731

Spouse: WILLIAM HUTCHESON
                            Marriage: 28 NOV 1857 Auchterhouse, Angus, Scotland
                            M112735

SP only has one match, but I don't have any credits to see which one it is.
                            You will sometimes find Scottish marriages listed twice where one entry is from the banns book and the other from the marriage register, or sometimes one entry from each banns book if they were from different parishes.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Ahh, I've never seen that before. Thanks. So the 'real' marriage should be the later date?
                              Tracy

Comment

Sorry am I being a bit thick are you saying that Elizabeth full name was Elizabeth Hutchison Archer. If that is the case then the 1851 record I found might be James. Because previously it was suggested that Elizabeth married someone called Hutchison before Donald.

Just noticed the Elizabeth Hutchison Archer that will be the full birth name of Elizabeth if it was a previous marriage it would be written as Elizabeth McRae or Hutchison MS Archer[/QUOTE]
                                GWEN

Comment

On the 1851 census I found James with Grdparents there is a daughter called Elizabeth Archer born 1830 Eassie Forfar, so I am leaning towards the fact that this must be my James.
                                  Thanks for all your help everyone I have to say I've been a bit confused with this family. I will have to look on SP I did have a lot of credits but used them all with this family to no avail. Will have to buy more.
                                  GWEN

Comment

Her name was Elizabeth Archer and she married William Hutcheson after James's birth if I found the right marriage.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                                      Ahh, that explains why I couldn't find them, but could find David dying in 1875.
                                      I've looked for this death where did you find it please
                                      GWEN

Comment

The death is on the IGI.
                                        Tracy

Comment

Working...
                                        X