Is this a leap too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a leap too far?

My Gtx3 grandfather William Brewerton c 1765 from date of death, is first found on his marriage banns in Shotwick Cheshire. He is described as Broughton but signes his name Brewerton. His first child is christened Brewerton but the rest a mixture of Bruton and Burton. He names his children Samuel and Elizabeth after the in laws and Benjamin, Mary, John and Thomas.
    They are all born in North Wales.
    His son Benjamin, my gt.x2 is christened Bruton marries as Burton and then as Broughton.
    I have just found on the Cheshire parish project (they are not on the LDS) John Broughton=Mary with the following children: Benjamin 1754, Mary 1756, Ann 1759 and William 1764.
    Would you be inclined, as a best guess, to have these as parents bearing in mind that Benjamin was quite a rare name in this area ie Cheshire/North Wales.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Hi Jeanie,
    its tempting, but it would be worth looking at the actual record, as this may give his occupation or place of abode, which would definitely verify it.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

I would like a little extra info for comfort, but it does look plausible. Are these new details in a parish close to Shotwick, or at the other end of the county?
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Louise,
        John was a Blacksmith as was his son Benjamin 1754. He was living in Handbridge, Chester when his children were christened. When my William was married he was a serving man in the parish of Shotwick but went to live near Mold in Wales where is pregnant wife came from. He then became a miner, according to a marriage cert.
        I have never managed to find a christening for him.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hi Phoenix,
          John = Mary were in Handbridge. Shotwick was a few miles away and Mold was even further.
          Searching for:

Comment

It was a leap too far. I have found Williams burial in 1766.
            Boo hoo.
            Searching for:

Comment

Working...
            X