Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listings for the Royal Marines anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listings for the Royal Marines anywhere?

An ancestor of mine, John Mulligan was in the Royal Marines in the battle of Jutland in WW1. I do not know if he was ever a casualty. He was born in 1887 in Hull. Is there any listings anywhere does anyone know?

Yes, you can search for Royal Marine service records on The National Archives Documents Online and they have one for a John Mulligan born August 1886 - are you sure he was born in 1887? Though I suppose he could have lied about his age when he joined.

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline
    Click on "What else is available?" and then scroll down to Navy and it is the first category in there.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Try this link to " Documents online" they have listings for Royal Marines, it is searchable by name etc

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Advanced Search

George
      Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

Hi Lorraine,
        There is always WW1 Army Service REcords on Ancestry.
        I could only see one John Mulligan c1887 Hull living at 25 Prospect PL, Church St, Hull but he joins West Yorks Regt..........next of kin, father, also John living in Dublin. John, junior dies 16/2/1919.
        There is no shortage of JMs to look at...............try it, 14 day free trial offer available.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          Hi Lorraine,
          There is always WW1 Army Service REcords on Ancestry.
          I could only see one John Mulligan c1887 Hull living at 25 Prospect PL, Church St, Hull but he joins West Yorks Regt..........next of kin, father, also John living in Dublin. John, junior dies 16/2/1919.
          There is no shortage of JMs to look at...............try it, 14 day free trial offer available.
          I don't think this can be the right John, Alan, as my John had a son born in 1938. As far as I am aware that by the time of WW1, my John was living and stationed in Plymouth.

Comment

I think he will probably be the one I mentioned in post #2. Perhaps he was too young to join so he altered his year of birth.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
              An ancestor of mine, John Mulligan was in the Royal Marines in the battle of Jutland in WW1. I do not know if he was ever a casualty.
              The Battle of Jutland 1916 - Casualties Listed by Ship.

This web-site may help if he was a casualty he was not on HMS Indefatigable as my Great Uncle was and I looked for you.

The Battle of Jutland 1916  - Casualties Listed by Ship.

Regards
              Jill

Comment

All three of my great grandmothers brothers claimed to be 18 when they joined, one was 17, one was 16, and bizarelly one 19. Why on earth he claimed to be a year younger I shall never know, especially as he was docked a year off towards his pension for being underage! But it is definently him. Also traced two of their first cousins, again both lied about aged. Moral of the story is the Marines certainly did not check (not sure any of the armed services did in fact), and recruits clearly often lied.

I'd download the service sheet, it should give adress, place of birth, occupation and next of kin, which are far more credible ways to identify if he is the right man or not.

Comment

Just to let you know, it was the right John Mulligan.

I am wondering now whether I'd be able to find my father's war record, as its not under ancestry and he fought in Ireland twice as well as in WW2.

Comment

Lorraine, you would have to apply to the Ministry of Defence for that. I'll just find the details...
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Here it is:

Service records - Army
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                      X