GRO Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Certificates

Hello , I wish to apply for a death certificate for a family member who has not been deceased for 25 years (this is the time given to be able to apply for a death certificate in Australia without proof of relationship) is this the case in the United Kingdom.
    Your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Sheila.
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

If you have the GRO reference it's possible to order online as normal from the GRO website.

Only complication is working out the age at death from the birthdate given in the indexes - you may need all your fingers and all your toes
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

In the UK such public documents (Birth, Marriage and Death certificates) may be purchased by anyone in the world for any purpose they wish to use them from the day the birth, marriage or death is registered.

The only limitation is pure logistics, for the most recent certificates one needs to know where the event was registered.
      This is only because the recent registrations will not have been forwarded to the central register (the GRO) and indexed.

For that very reason it is enshrined in law that a person may search the registers held by a registrar at his or her office anytime that office is open to the public.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy Thanks for that it helps a lot. "Down Under " there are date limitations in WA it is 25 years after the event for a death. So I did wonder if it was the same in the UK .
        Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
          In the UK such public documents (Birth, Marriage and Death certificates) may be purchased by anyone in the world for any purpose they wish to use them from the day the birth, marriage or death is registered.

The only limitation is pure logistics, for the most recent certificates one needs to know where the event was registered.
          The GRO don't make that easy though, as they insist on the following information being provided for a birth cert if the birth took place within the last 50 years:

Surname at birth
          Forename(s)
          Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
          Place of birth
          Father's surname
          Father's forename(s)
          Mother's maiden surname
          Mother's forename(s)

You should be OK for that death cert though, Sheila.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
            Guy Thanks for that it helps a lot. "Down Under " there are date limitations in WA it is 25 years after the event for a death. So I did wonder if it was the same in the UK .
            Sheila

In Qld it's 50 years for a death unless you can prove you are the next of kin.

I can't get my grandfather's death cert as I can't prove the last of his four children is dead. He died Dec 1959 so not long to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              The GRO don't make that easy though, as they insist on the following information being provided for a birth cert if the birth took place within the last 50 years:

Surname at birth
              Forename(s)
              Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
              Place of birth
              Father's surname
              Father's forename(s)
              Mother's maiden surname
              Mother's forename(s)

You should be OK for that death cert though, Sheila.
              A speaker at a recent FHS talk revealed that the POB he had given for his passport, & is enshrined in all other documents about him, is not what it states on his birth certificate:o
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Sorry that I have not thanked you before, but I have been deep into the finding of an Uncle"s death.
                Libby OH dear !!!!!! I think it is 25 years in WA but I am trying to find out

Sheila

Comment

Working...
                X