Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1911 census - they obviously didn't tell the children!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - they obviously didn't tell the children!

I downloaded the 1911 census for my gg grandparents Edward Chapman Barley & Septiana Anderton. I was interested to see how long they said they had been married & was very surprised to see it said 48 years , when it was actually nearer to 3! I then noticed that the form was filled in by one of their sons who was living with them. He obviously didn't know that his parents had only just married.
    I also noticed that it said they had had 13 children when I only knew of 12, with 2 being dead & 11 still living. I was just about to look for a child who had born & died between censuses, when I realised that I already had the 2 children who had died. But when I thought again, I remembered that Septiana had a daughter in 1861 & she was with the Barley family in 1871, so this son obviously counted her as one of his parents children, even though she didn't list Edward as her father when she married. He probably not aware that she wasn't his full sister.
    Lynn

I'm jealous because none of the 1911 census pages I've bought has turned up anything unexpected and the one that should have done the head of house has misinterpreted the instructions, so I didn't get the answer I needed :(

Comment

Maybe the son did know that his parents had only just married but as the form was an official one he decided to make his parents look respectable.

Comment

That is possible Georgette, but they did marry in a different county & non of their family were witnesses.
        Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
          That is possible Georgette, but they did marry in a different county & non of their family were witnesses.
          Oh yes, that does sound like the children didn't know, doesn't it?

Comment

Yes, we think they only married to be able to claim the pension.
            Lynn

Comment

Working...
            X