How will I know if it's right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will I know if it's right?

My ancestors Alexander Campbell and Mary Ann Simpson married and had their first child,John in Ireland.According to census records M.A.was born about 1841 and Alexander was a little older.The 1911 census confirmed that they came from Newry in Northern Ireland. I have never been able to get any further back.The Ulster Historical foundation shows a marriage in 1857 Newry and Mourne of Alex Campbell and Mary Ann Simpson.Actually it shows two,but I presume it is the same one. My question is -how will I know if they are mine or not when I have no idea what the parents were called?
    Fran
    Just looked in 1861 she has year of birth 1837-in 1871 yob 1838- in 1881 yob 1841
    Last edited by fran; 11-05-09, 16:42. Reason: adding

If you can get a copy of their marriage entry from the register, and their children's birth registrations, then assuming that one or other of the parents signed the birth registrations you would be able to compare the signatures against the marriage entry. Also I'm not sure if the marriage entry will give you Alexander's occupation but maybe?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Fran,
      Chances are the 2 marriages you've found on the Ulster Historical Foundation website are the same marriage. I have found 2 entries for the same event before - sometimes one is a civil record and the other the church record, with one record showing more detail (occupation) than the other.

The same records can be found at Ancestry Ireland , which often shows the father's name in the index. But there is no father's name for Alexander Campbell or for Mary Ann Simpson.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 11-05-09, 18:34.
      Sarah

Comment

There is currently only one Alexander Campbell in Newry listed on Ros Davies' site, but he married Mrs Elizabeth Lindsay (nee Grattan) 13 Dec 1856. Worth checking back from time to time though, as she does add to the site regularly. There are also several A. Campbell's in Newry: Campbell A-I
        Sarah

Comment

Thank you very much both of you.Sadly these people were illiterate.Good idea Kite but not for these people.Cloggie, both say Church record so hard to choose one.I look at Ros Davies's site and have even contributed.
          Fran
          Meant to say he was a labourer,so not much help there
          Last edited by fran; 11-05-09, 20:18. Reason: adding

Comment

This probably won't be any help, but just to share my experience:
            When I purchased the records from the IFHF site, I knew it was the right marriage, and downloaded both records just in case. They both just say "Marriage Record" at the top.
            One gives Newry for the district, and the other gives Newry & Mourne. Both give the date of marriage and include the witnesses' names.
            The Newry one gives father's names, address (townland), and occupations, and gives the priest's name.
            The Newry & Mourne one doesn't give those details, but does state that they were both previously unmarried, which the Newry one doesn't mention.
            Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah,that is very useful to know.
              Fran

Comment

Working...
              X