Catholic PRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic PRs

Feeling a bit down in the dumps because I had planned to visit LMA this month only to find they don't keep catholic records. So I contacted the catholic library and they say the only way I might get to see any records is to contact the parish priest as the records aren't public.

Feeling a bit lost now as I'm not sure which way to turn with this. I did a google search for parish priest Kensington which returned a site Parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Simon Stock, Kensington. The area looks right but I'm not holding out much hope that this is the way to go. I'm sure the priest has far more important things to do than try to help me discover my ancestory!

Has anyone else tried to locate catholic parish records for Kensington and/or Chelsea for mid 1800s through to 1910 ?

Any help or advice would really, really be appreicated. Thanks for reading.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Have you seen this site? Mission Registers - Catholic Family History - Catholic National Library - Theological Library - Christian Library
    I don't see the church you mention, but they do list a number of London and Middlesex churches.

Also see: Catholic Family History Society Homepage
    Sarah

Comment

I am very tempted with the CFHS but they want £15 per year, add that to Ancestory membership, GR, certs etc., it gets a bit expensive, however, if that's my only option then I'll have to do it :o)

Thanks Sarah.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I already spoke to the library and they can't help.
        Jules

Comment

Sorry Jules - no answers. Just to say that I'm in the same situation for Covent Garden area or is it Westminster or is it Hammersmith or some place in between One day we'll find the answer
          J

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
            Sorry Jules - no answers. Just to say that I'm in the same situation for Covent Garden area or is it Westminster or is it Hammersmith or some place in between One day we'll find the answer
            J
            LOL I'm beginning to feel that I should never have started this.

I have just written to Catholic FHS, to make enquiries prior to taking on membership. (more blinking money spent on this hobby/obsession).
            Jules

Comment

if you do either let me know how you get on as have a catholic pope famliy in the same area about he same time. and have got now where with them.
              wye surrey/london/birmingham
              lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
              hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
              ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
              herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
              armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
                if you do either let me know how you get on as have a catholic pope famliy in the same area about he same time. and have got now where with them.
                Will do.
                Jules

Comment

We have researched Catholic records in the past.

I think areas all differ.

Birmingham has a central place where lots are kept but we have visited parish priests in the past and been allowed to look through the books. The local one here was very nice, he showed us into his office gave us the registers, offered us coffee and helped with anything we had problems with including any Latin.

If you don't ask you wont get.

Comment

I do not think that joining the Catholic Record Society will help you in this matter as you are presumably after catholic baptisms? The CRC has not got records of Catholic baptisms all over the country. If only! I do belong to the CRC and it is very useful if you have recusants amongst your family history that is people who were catholics back from the mid 1700's, as it was illegal to practice the catholic faith at that time. Lists of recusants and fines paid had to be kept and the CRC is very good in this area of research into Catholic Ancestors. The only way forward to obtain a catholic baptism is to write to the church concerned and hope they will help you with the information. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. We have had mixed responses. Some never answered, and some did but one does have to remember that priests are busier than ever these days, with fewer and fewer priests to manage a parish and so Family History is not going to be a top priority.

I have many Catholic Mission Registers to include London and the Home Counties Vol 1 but they are just mainly registers of places past and present. Vol 1 has a few names such as the Duke of Norfolk etc. Sir John Webb Baronet Dorset etc then gentlemen of considerable estates. They are only mentioned by name, nothing else in other words these registers are only telling you where you can obtain the information, not the information itself!

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 11-05-09, 17:00.

Comment

The Catholic church you mentioned is a 20th century brick building (I photographed it for the POW project) so there may not be any records there of any great age.

Comment

Hi Jules,

The place you need is

Westminster Diocesan Archives, 16a Abingdon Road,
                        off Kensington High St, W8 6AF.
                        0207 928 3580

You could phone or email them to check whether they have the parish records you are seeking (archivist@rcdow.org.uk) and, if so, request an appointment to visit. They are only open about two afternoons a week.

They do not have all parishes in Westminster Diocese and, when they have, they may not extend to 1910. Some I looked at stopped in the 1890s. They are all originals - nothing is on film or searchable except by turning the pages

Hope you have some success
                        Carol

Comment

Yes I've been into the Birmingham Catholic Archives but they didn't hold some of the records I was after. (still in the parish). So must contact the Parish Priest.

However at Gateshead Records Office they had some on microfilm which I spent some hours perusing.

Also been to the Scottish Catholic Archives in Edinburgh - had to make an appointment.

So your best bet is to ring the Parish Priest first and ask if they still hold them for the dates you're interested in. If not they should be able to tell you who holds them and contact details. Alternatively the Diocesan Offices should be able to tell you.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thanks everyone, some really good advice. I will follow it up.
                            Jules

Comment

Another quirk of Catholic Records is that when you look at the baptismal records it may also have their marriage details entered as well.

When a catholic marries in a RC church the Parish Priest or Dioscesan Office writes to the church where they were baptised for a Freedom Letter (which indicates that they are free to marry and no other marriage has been entered against the person).

When this began or if it is normal practice I don't know but it happened when my parents married in 1936.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

You also usually get the godparents names as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X