Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unclaimed inheritance

Can someone help please?
    What´s the name of the website where you can view the list of unclaimed assets when someone has died intestate?
    Elaine

Had it in my favourites, hang on

Bona vacantia?

‘Bona Vacantia’ means vacant goods and is the name given to ownerless property, which by law passes to the Crown. The Treasury Solicitor acts for the Crown to administer the estates of people who die intestate (without a Will) and without known kin (entitled blood relatives) and collect the assets of dissolved companies and other various ownerless goods in England and Wales. BVD is part of the Government Legal Department .
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 11-05-09, 09:52.
    Jess

Comment

That´s the one! Thanks Jess.
      Elaine

Comment

Hi
        The site only seems to hold 150 records. Does it refresh them occasionally?

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Can someone help please?
          What´s the name of the website where you can view the list of unclaimed assets when someone has died intestate?
          Forks out for champagne glasses.............:p

Comment

Allan

The Bona Vacantia site has, erm, slimmed down of late and there are only a few records on there at a time now.

I am sure this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the government being able to claim intestate estates.....

OC

Comment

Hi OC
              Thanks for replying.
              I assume the weekly list shown on Heir Hunters is out of reach of us ordinary folk.

Comment

Allan

No, the lists have to be made public by law. Bona Vacantia lists used to go back years - now they seem to be updated monthly and anything much older gets dropped.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Forks out for champagne glasses.............:p
                  If only Merry!

A friend of mine has been contacted by one of these 'Heir Hunter' companies and was asking me what she should do.
                  Elaine

Comment

I was contacted by such an outfit 2 or 3 years ago. They had tracked down an email address, on which I use my maiden name, to ask if my mother was still alive - she's in her 90s. It transpired that a member of her family had died intestate, so they were seeking eligible heirs to share the estate (not huge - alas!). Her share was about £2000, of which they kept 25%, but they very kindly sent me details of her brothers and sisters, about whom I knew nothing. This triggered my interest in genealogy - now if only I could find the sheet they sent me .....

Comment

If only Merry!

A friend of mine has been contacted by one of these 'Heir Hunter' companies and was asking me what she should do.
                      Ask Heather PT

She and her OH have had experience of one of these. Heather sorted it herself.

Comment

The person who has been contacted has no interest in genealogy and at the moment she is not really sure who the unclaimed estate relates to. It seems her father had a sister which no one knew anything about!

She seems to have played a couple of these companies off against each other and has got one down to a 10% cut so I think she is going to go with that one.
                        Elaine

Comment

Havent the BBC also a web site for names I briefly caught the end of a program and remember thinking that looked interesting and would have liked to have watched it and they gave a web site but cannot remember the name of it.
                          GWEN

Comment

My father was contacted by one of these companies, sadly he passed away before it was all settled BUT the inheritance then came to my brother and me and we got about £2000 each. That was about 20 years ago. Since doing my family tree I have seen who the distant cousin, who died intestate was.
                            Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Hi,

New to this website but not geneaology

Home > Bona Vacantia

The above website appears to only list unclaimed estates in scotland

Is there a website that lists unclaimed estates in England?

Comment

Hello Emma and welcome to FTF!

If you use the link on post #2 of this thread, that takes you to the English lists.

OC

Comment

Thank you for your help, Old Cron Holden.

Comment

If only Merry!

Subscribe to FTF and do it herself with assistance. :D:D
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X