German geography????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German geography????

I'm trying to find a bit more on my German line. I have a very old family tree all hand written, done by an elderly aunt who has since passed away.

She visited Germany and went all over looking at records and then got help from a German genealogist. I have no idea how to check her info, but thought I'd start with looking for the places at least.

I've found Margetshochheim and Werbach on google maps (although I still couldn't work out where they were in relation to places I'd heard of...lol)

The one I'm stumped with is Dedengesass. Nothing shows up so I'm presuming it's been written incorrectly.

Any ideas????

Also I need to know what area/district the places are so I can have a look around google.

Also I know next to no German.....lol

Thanks.

Wikipedia says that "Margetshöchheim is a municipality in the district of Würzburg in Bavaria, Germany."
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And that "Werbach is a town in the district of Main-Tauber in Baden-Württemberg in Germany".
      KiteRunner

Comment

You could try Directory of Cities and Towns in World
        Can't see any Dedengesass on there though, although there is a Dedenhausen and a Dedinghausen.

Margetshöchheim is in Bayern (Bavaria): Maps, Weather, and Airports for Margetshochheim, Germany
        Werbach is in Baden-Wurttemberg: Maps, Weather, and Airports for Werbach, Germany
        Last edited by Cloggie; 11-05-09, 09:46.
        Sarah

Comment

Have been looking but can't find Dedengessas have you tried this link I have just found? Cities and Towns: Germany - MavicaNET

Lynda

Comment

Thank you....

Margetshochheim and Werbach are not that far apart, but can't find the "other place". Might have been a house name or something as the people from the three places are all related.

Comment

Is it possible for you to post up the image of that word so we can see what we think it says, Libby?
              KiteRunner

Comment

I was just thinking that the sass bit sounds very much like strasse...(street)?

Comment

Gesass with an umlaut over the a means seat or bottom so perhaps looks right for a place name?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                    I was just thinking that the sass bit sounds very much like strasse...(street)?
                    My thoughts too. ..............gasse is an alleyway or lane.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks....

I don't have the original hand written copy so can't post it up unfortunately. However, I do remember it was easy to read so think I've got the right spelling.......lol

I did notice this fellow's father came from Werbach, so maybe it was a street name and the town left off.

It's not greatly important...I just thought I should check through, but it's always seemed too hard..............a bit like Essex and Yorkshire....lol

Comment

Could it be Eidengesäß, about 40 miles north-west of Würzburg, so not too far from Margetshochheim and Werbach ?
                        Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
                        Warwickshire name: Hart
                        German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

I wondered about Eidengesäß.

If it is Eidengesäß, then this is a potentially useful weblink:
                          Visitenkarte - Gemeinde Linsengericht

I contacted a similar organisation in Himbach-Limeshain last autumn about my niece's ancestor. I asked if their local history extended to family tree (Stammbaum) research, and asked if they had any info about a particular name/DoB who may have been born in their town. They were very friendly - sent me a couple of booklets about the town and its neighbour, and said they'd try to contact someone they thought might be able to help. In Feb I got an email and a packet full of info: they'd found a lady who was researching the Jewish presence in their area, and she had a family tree for me, plus copies of his parent's secular marriage record, and of a letter he'd written (while at his son's house) to the mayor in 1905 asking for a copy birth cert!

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is the local site for Werbach:
                            Gemeinde WERBACH - Main-Tauber-Kreis

and this for Margetshöchheim
                            http://www.margetshöchheim.de/

but I couldn't see a local history society in either place.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I would think local history is something of a minefield in Germany much the same as family history is.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I found a street Dedengasse in Vienna (Austria). Deckergasse, also a street, the profession of the tiler is descended from it off. The word lane is generally a little street. One finds these street names and Germany in the Switzerland and Austria.
                                Dedengessas is known in the German linguistic area neither as a place nor as a street or way. The word Geäss(ß) buttocks means the bottom of a man. There are proper names with this word formation such as low buttocks (Niedergesäß)
                                WZowe

Comment

thank you WZowe..you could be an invaluable member of our happy bunch...welcome(welkommen) to FTF...is it okay for members to ask you German Queries...I have a couple....allan;)
                                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

With pleasure, as far as I can provide these answers.
                                    We should support each other mutually at this hobby anyway.
                                    Where and how can I help?
                                    Wolf

Comment

Thank you very much. WZowe..........and Welcome to FTF....the places I mentioned were from the very early 1800s back to the 1600s, so may well have changed.

I'll try not to annoy you too much.

Comment

Among other things is the problem of the old documents in the German-speaking room from this time, that the document was written in Süterlin or old German. The different dialects still arrive. At that time, only the parish priests and the nobility were usually writing well-informed. And these wrote this down, what they understood.

Comment

Working...
                                        X