surnames i am researching Isle Of Wight England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surnames i am researching Isle Of Wight England

I would appreciate any help with the surnames i am researching on the Isle Of Wight England
    Attrill, Ford, Plumbley,Smith, Squibb, Young, Wells,Whittington, Salter,Norris
    my main interest is James Smith wife name Betty can not find Betty's maiden name, or James parents we think he was born around 1876 at Gatcombe they appear on the 1851 census, and then Betty is on the 1861 census with son George and wife Frances, James and Betty Smith had a son George Smith born abt 1823 Newchurch IOW who married a Frances Young 1849, Frances parents Johnothan Young and Eliza Wells,i can not find the siblings for George Smith,
    can anyone help please
    Thank You
    Angel24

is that 1846? NO 1776, I bet

I bet ''Betty'' is an Elizabeth
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 11-05-09, 08:31.
    Jess

Comment

Have you tried the Isle of Wight FHS? They have family names that people are researching, plus a searchable database of BMDs from 1837 to 2002. You may find someone on there who has already researched your family and may be able to help you.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

So this is the 1851 census entry:
        Newchurch:
        James Smith Head Mar 67 Farmer's Lab Hants Gatcomb
        Betty Do Wife Mar 60 Do Newchurch
        George Do Nephew 2 Do H(?) Andersby

If this George is really James's nephew then it should help with sorting the family out, but I bet he's James's grandson. Could he be George and Frances's son, in which case it doesn't help much?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This looks like them in 1841, also at Newchurch:
          James Smith 55 Ag Lab Y
          Betty Do 50 Y
          Joseph Do 25 Ag Lab Y
          George Do 15 Do Y
          Fanny Do 9 Y

So Joseph and Fanny are probably George's brother and sister.
          KiteRunner

Comment

I have found another child Jacob, baptised at Newchurch on 17/6/1812 to James and Elizabeth Smith on my Hampshire CDs, but there is no corresponding marriage in Newchurch.

Do we know where betty was born?
            Wendy

Comment

Says she was born at Newchurch on the 1851 census. I haven't checked the 1861 yet...
              KiteRunner

Comment

Oh yes, on the 1861 census it also says Newchurch for Betty's birthplace.

Also, in 1861, George age 12 who must be the same George that was with James and Betty in 1851, is the nephew of George and Frances. So maybe if we can find out who his parents were it would help. But his birthplace says Newchurch on that census and something like H Andersby on the 1851. Maybe a local can work out what it really says on that one!
                KiteRunner

Comment

George Smith married Frances Young 1849 All Saints, Newchurch.
                  Wendy

Comment

No George Smith with MMN Young born at that time, 1839.

George Smith MMN Walden born 1838 Newport Reg District, IOW.
                    Last edited by WendyPusey; 11-05-09, 11:50.
                    Wendy

Comment

No, but George wasn't George and Frances's son, he was their nephew.

Ah, I see you found a likely birth reg, Wendy, so if we can find a Smith marrying a Walden, the Smith should be a brother of George the elder!
                      Last edited by KiteRunner; 11-05-09, 14:45.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

George Smith and Frances Young

1891 - Newchurch.
                        George Smith, 67, All born Newchurch
                        Frances " , 64,
                        Nathan " , 6 ( Grandson)

1881 Newchurch.
                        George Smith, 57 All Born Newchuch
                        Frances " , 54
                        Cornelius " , 21
                        Jacob " , 17
                        Janet " ,13

1851 Newchurch
                        George Smith, 27.
                        Frances " , 24
                        Matthew " , 4
                        Not Named " , 1 month, (ive had a look on Isle of Wight births and this child was named as Nathan Smith) They are also living 2 doors away from Georges parents James and Betty.

I have also had a look on the I,o,W website and all childrens mothers maiden name are: Young.

Hope all this helps.

Comment

For the grandson in 1891 -Nathan Smith, born 1885 there is no mothers maiden name.

2 possible deaths:

George Smith: 1902, age 79, Brading, I.of.W. (b:1823)
                          Frances Smith: 1892, age 65, Brading, I.of.W. (b:1827)

Comment

I think what Angel is trying to do is to work backwards from George Smith and also find out about his brothers and sisters.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

I understand that, there might be something extra there that ive written that Angel doesnt have.

Comment

I don't have Gatcombe Parish Records on my CD but the IGI has a submitted entry:

James Smith born 05 JUN 1785
                                Christening: 03 JUL 1785 Gatcombe, Hampshire

Parents John Smith & Hannah Baker.
                                Wendy

Comment

Also a few more children for this couple on the IGI.

IGI is playing up at the moment so I can't list them.:(
                                  Wendy

Comment

Parents: James Smith and Elizabeth or Betty.

Isaac H. Smith 27 Dec 1809 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Jacob Smith 7 Jun 1812 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Joseph Smith 18 Oct 1818 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Maurice Smith 18 Oct 1818 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Jane Smith 13 Aug 1820 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

George Smith 25 May 1823 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Hanah Smith 14 Aug 1825 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Ann Smith 21 Oct 1827 Newchurch, Hampshire, England

Still can't find a marriage for them though.
                                    Wendy

Comment

The only marriage I can find on my CDs is:

John Smith married Elizabeth Harbour 7/12/1807 Newchurch, IOW.
                                      Wendy

Comment

I suppose it's possible it's been mistranscribed onto the CD, but then again Smith is such a common name that it could be a different couple.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X